Remember me
Lost Password Register

Steel tanks
03-14-2003, 01:57 PM,
Steel tanks
Do any of the local shops carry PST steel tanks? I'm interested in looking at the new e-series they have coming out this spring.

Who has good deals on steel tanks in town?
--Jason
03-14-2003, 02:04 PM,
Re:Steel tanks
I have talked to SD&T about them. I sounds like they won't be out until May-June. I am a bit tossed up between them and Faber since Faber is going to do the same thing with their tanks. From what I have seen Fabers are less expensive.

JoelW
03-14-2003, 02:28 PM,
What will the difference be with the new E-tanks.
03-14-2003, 03:08 PM,
Basically they are going to rate the tanks for what people have been doing for a number of years. They will now be 3500 psi tanks. What was basically the old 95 tank will now be a 125 cft tank and the 104 will go 140. In the near future the old steels will probably start becoming affordable since it will be possible for someone to buy the same tank new and get 25% air in.

JoelW
03-14-2003, 04:05 PM,
My understanding is that they are also tweaking the boyancy characteristics a bit. Joel, does SD&T carry these tanks?
--Jason
03-14-2003, 06:09 PM,
I'm not sure that anyone around here is carrying PST in stock. They would have to be ordered by a store. I thought that I heard from someone that a local, semi-local?, distributor is going to carry the Fabers, so a store would not have the shipping cost. Don't know that for sure though.

JoelW
03-15-2003, 09:32 AM,
I know SDT can get PST tanks, although they don't carry them in stock. I'm not sure about other shops in town.

Here's what I know about the new E series tanks: apparently the new 130s are really just the 104s with a higher pressure rating. However these "130s" are closer to the older version of the 104s. PST apparently stopped making the 104 for awhile (I'm not sure when) and then started producing these again in 1996. The 1996 version and beyond is heavier than the older version, and the new E series is more like the older version in weight. Apparently the new E series will be about 2 lbs negative empty, whereas the current 104 is about 4.5 lbs empty.

This is all second hand information, wihch I normally hate posting. However, based on what I know today about PST tanks, it seems reliable. I've been meaning to email PST to verify these specs, but have not gotten around to doing it. I did swap a few emails with them about a year ago trying to get *definitive* buoyancy information on all their steel tanks. I have a single page document they finally emailed me that outlines this nicely. If anybody wants a copy, let me know. The sheet does not address the new E series, obviously.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
03-15-2003, 11:20 AM,
The problem with the new E-series is that PST won't say whether it is exactly the same tank with a different stamp on it, or not.
I've been talking to quite a few people in FL about this issue - the old PST's and Fabers are constantly getting filled to 4000psi (rated for 2640psi) without any problems, whereas no one seems to be too willing to overfill the new E-series for the next couple of years, until the tank has proven itself. Now 3400psi isn't bad either, but every little bit helps. My personal recommendation is to hold off for another 2 years before buying the E-series, and see how it holds up in terms of hydro and corrosion resistance (in case they did change something in the alloy). The old PST and Fabers have proven themselves over decades of service, and you'll probably be able to get them cheaper and more easily than the new E-series.
Furthermore, the choice between PST and Faber should be based on boyancy needs rather than finish. I've talked tothe owner of one of the largest fill stations in FL, and he told me that the PST's fail hydro more often that the Fabers. If you need the extra weight (like Beeger did) buy the PST's, if you don't buy the Fabers. For example, if you have an AL backplate, the PST's probably would be a better choice, if you have a SS backplate, the Fabers probably would work better.
03-15-2003, 02:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-15-2003, 08:37 PM by beeger.)
Here's something else to consider: after trying both the Faber 108s and the PST 104s I found that my trim was affected by which tanks I used. Specifically I found myself a little more head-and-shoulders heavy when diving with the Fabers than with the PSTs. It was easier for me to remain horizontal with the PSTs. At first I thought it was just me, but then another "tall" diver (I'm 6'3") mentioned the same thing to me without me saying anything about it first. I think it has something to do with the shape of the crown of the tank. Now, that being said, your average diver might not see a difference. It's hard to say. I just thought I'd offer that up for consideration, because it was both the weight and trim that affected my decision to go with the PSTs.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
03-16-2003, 11:49 AM,
The Fabers are rated in Europe to 232bar, and it's not only a Florida thing, any decent tech shop will fill at least to 3500psi. I have friends who have 25year old PST's and Fabers, have been filling them to 3500+ for all these years and never had a problem with hydro.
Also, certain countries in Europe require hydro every year or other year, and this doesn't shorten the lifespan of the tank either.