Remember me
Lost Password Register

Controlling Ascent Rate
05-19-2011, 04:29 PM,
Re: Controlling Ascent Rate
The only downside of perfect weighting is you use less air in your drysuit, hence its a less insulation... I prefer to be 2-3 over at the surface, use air in my bc to compensate in warm water, then transfer that to my suit at depth for insulation.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
05-25-2011, 04:13 PM,
My advice too you is to keep accurate records of your dives, that is to say, how much weight you wore, what kind/type of exposure suit you wore, everything.

As you are completing your dive and doing your safety stop, take note of how much air you have in your BC, if you think you have more air than you probably should have, take off a couple pounds for your next dive. Continue to do this until you find your "sweet spot." Rember this, you may have air trapped in your BC that you are not aware of, so get in a habit of leaning forward and to the right, this will place your dump-valve at the highest point on your BC, burping any air that may still be in your BC.

The more you dive, the more comfortable you will be in the water and with that, comes less weight. I believe I dumped roughly 40% of my weight in my second season of diving.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
05-29-2011, 08:01 PM,
Thanks for all of the help. I have greatly improved my buoyancy control in the last week or so.  As I was diving this week, I was wondering how much of your weight actually needs to be available for dumping. If im using 26 lbs of weight, do all 26 lbs need to be able to be dumped in bouyancy emergency?
05-30-2011, 02:59 AM,
No, not all.  I have two 10# weights in my BC that can be ditched.  That is the max amount that I can put in each pocket(10#'s in each pocket, total of 20#'s).
05-30-2011, 11:46 AM,
A thought mite be to put 10# in each weight pocket and a weight belt with 3# on each each side. When you ditch the belt you will still have enough weight on board to have a controlled ascent to the surface.
The good thing about this type of ditch is that you don't spend as much money on replacing weights.
06-02-2011, 04:09 PM,
Today was the first day I felt very comfortable with my bouyancy control.  My ascent rate was very controlled, and I had no bouyancy issues.  Thanks for all of the help!
06-02-2011, 06:53 PM,
Glad to hear your skills are progressing.  I tell people that you need about 20 dives to feel comfortable performing all the skills.
--Jason
06-02-2011, 08:47 PM,
Im sure that some one has already said it but here we go again the more you dive the better you will get.