Remember me
Lost Password Register

Controlling Ascent Rate
05-16-2011, 06:32 PM,
Re: Controlling Ascent Rate
I think that this is the only negative comment I have about PADI.  I feel that the ascent/safety stop was not adequately covered.  I think its a very important part of diving.  It can expose you to decompression illness just like, if not more than not knowing your dive tables.  I also had trouble with my 'real' safety stop this weekend, as I was bouncing around in the water column trying to find the right bouyancy.
05-16-2011, 06:39 PM,

No, it feels like I'm fine when I'm at depth, it just feels like I rocket to the surface when I ascend.  Also, I don't add air when I begin my ascent.
[/quote]

My bad.  I guess I didn't quite understand the question/problem you were having exactly.  Sorry.

How many logged dives do you have now?

What are your current certifications?

05-16-2011, 07:50 PM,
I am just an open water diver, with 6 logged dives.  Many more on the way
05-16-2011, 08:06 PM,
I'd suggest plan on specifically practicing everything for your first 20 dives, it took me at least that many before I started to feel confident enough to start focusing on actually exploring.... if you plan on diving the few low vis places scattered in the crystal clear waters of minnesota, being neutral will be important.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
05-16-2011, 09:03 PM,
I agree with what Joe said about just practicing for the first 20, or so dives.  The first 15 dives of mine were 35ft. or above just playing around adjusting to the new underwater world.  After that, I was comfortable enough to go a little deeper.  I have well over 100 logged dives, and still am not deep certified.  I do plan to be in the near future, but am not in a hurry to get certified.  There is a lot to see above 60ft., especially in this "crystal clear" water hear in Minnesota, as Joe stated.

Take your time, and don't feel rushed to get it right away.  It takes time.  Dive, dive, dive, and when you think you might have it, dive some more.
05-18-2011, 04:30 PM,
I'm not sure we got a clear description of the issue. It sounds like you didn't dump air or you dumped everything and couldn't go up? Anyway, what you need is a dive buddy with 15 dive to show you what they 'just' figured out. Log some fun dives with them in the 0-30 foot range and just work it out together. Then both of you find others with 50 dives and learn something from them. 150, 500.... I know it's not a great answer but it's how it's done for most of us. This forum helps but most of us are too old to remember what it was like. Mine was 11 years ago and all I recall is crashing butt first into the muck in Square Lake and popping to the surface the next second. It was like I was a yo-yo. But I learned. Smile 20 feet of water is a pretty safe place to work it out. Just keep your cool and think about why things are happening. Find the cause and the solution is usually obvious.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
05-19-2011, 06:22 AM,
this is unfortunately true. too true. i drag a surface bouy/flag around all summer, my problem is that unless i keep the flag line tight i get tangled in it. keeping it tight or under tension will give you a different type of control over your buoyancy. basically with no effort into controlling your buoyancy you can set your depth by the length of the bouy line and just hang on the line at depth. since by law we are required to have a flag I'm constantly dragging one.this experience is probably different for different divers, its just my 2cents to the topic.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
05-19-2011, 06:43 AM,
oh, and i think my Ideal neutral buoyancy wet dream would be a harness without any BC.
haven't tried it yet but am planing on it, if I can find clear water and someone i trust to dive-spot me.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
05-19-2011, 08:25 AM,
For me it has always been harder to nail down my buoyancy near the surface. The volume of air in your lungs and your BCD doubles going from 33' up to 0 feet (twice the volume). From 66' going up to 33' the percentage of change in air pressure is less (1/3 the volume). From 99' to 66' the percentage of change is even less (1/4 the volume). If you can master your buoyancy in the top 33' then the deeper stuff will be easier but with a different set of risks associated. Being "near" the surface doesn't reduce your risk of air expansion injuries. It increases it. So be don't pop like a cork from your safety stop or the bottom of the pool! AND, ALWAYS BREATHE NORMALLY.
05-19-2011, 01:05 PM,

That's a consequence of liking an extra 2-5 pounds. For me, the last 15 feet is easy, I'm totally empty. I can move up and down without doing anything and my buoyancy barely changes. I am right to the pound. one less and I'm too light, any more I need a tiny bit of air to stay neutral.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.