Remember me
Lost Password Register

air fills
07-15-2010, 09:04 PM,
Re: air fills
Well, considering that I can make hundreds of dollars off each tank of air, I don't complain about the difference between $5.00 and $9.00 air.

Last week, I stopped at Aquaventure to get some fills.  It just happened to be right on my line of flight, so the convienience was the main factor.  But she filled them on the spot and had a visual done before I could finish my Subway.

Contrast that with Marineland in Onalaska later that week.  Fills were "only" $7.50.  My diver stopped in on Thursday and was told "You can pick them up Monday".  After much caterwauling, he convinced them to get somebody in to fill them later in the day and bummed a tank off of me so he could continue working.  Then he figured he'd just rent some tanks for the next day.  Turns out they couldn't even do that.

I'll pay the extra buck-fifty for good, fast service.  They're likely to see me again for more air, and they'll get a good shot at selling me my next piece of gear.

It is a bit amusing that some people will drive 30 miles out of the way to save a buck on air.  I'll drive that far out of the way to make sure I don't have to "PIck them up tomorrow".
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
07-15-2010, 09:59 PM,
I just want a fill card! I'll pay $60 for the 10 fills (used to pay $30 for 10 but whatever).  Give me a discount for the loyalty and buying volume. 

--Jason
07-15-2010, 10:03 PM,
                               30 years ago, for every $500 you spent in a dive shop you got a year of free air, (thanks Club Scuba) and your tanks were actually full.  On holiday weekends ice was kept in the water filling tanks so your cylinders were filled cold.  Not the nonsense spewed today, of your tanks heating up so they can't be filled to their rated pressure. Air in dive shops is the same as gasoline in gas stations, it is not now or ever was, a profit making endeavor it was meant to bring you though the door. One of the local shops, near me that I use to  to frequent, I no longer do because they could not "fill" my tanks. Ten percent or more below rated pressure at the dive site is not considered acceptable by me and makes me feel screwed if I payed for it. The higher the pressure goes the more per cubic foot it costs the dive shop, do to the load on the electric motor turning the compressor and the expense of rebuilding the high pressure stage cylinder. $7.00-9.00/cyl. is outragous in todays economy. To the dive shops that dont agree, we can get everything else on the internet, next will be compressors.    TRINITY
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)
07-16-2010, 06:11 AM,
Well said.
07-16-2010, 06:43 AM,
Good to know.
07-16-2010, 06:57 AM,
Terry, now that you mention it I remember the Club Scuba deal on air fills as that is where I originally got certified and bought all my gear. If any one wants to complain look at greens fees for playing golf! Know I remember why I quit playing  Wink

Pat
I'm a Mog, Half man half dog - I'm my own best friend.<br />Alcohol doesn't make you fat... it makes you Lean... on tables, chairs &amp; random people.
07-16-2010, 02:06 PM,
I hear you on that point Pat, my wife and I no longer enjoy golf as it is gone so stupid that it is not even worth it anymore.
As for my local shop, I like supporting the locals, whether it be just coming in for air or buying all my gear as I did. My tank I have owned for yrs is in getting a hydro and vis on it. While it has been away, I am getting a free tank with free air anytime I want. That alone is what I call good service. I like the camaraderie and the fact that on my way home from work I can just pop in and sit and chat with him and give his dog lots of attention. If he was charging the 12 for a fill, I would still go because of the outstanding service he provides and the friendship that is growing between us.
I remember there was a great fly fishing shop, Bentley's Outfitters that was the same deal. You could find one in the shop shooting the breeze, tying flies, or in the back having a new micro beer with Andy. Unfortunately the shop closed down a few yrs ago. I still keep in touch with him but I miss so dearly the time spent there.
I want to make sure that the same doesn't happen to my shop now. You never know just how much something means, until you loose it.
I may be only one person, but I may be THAT person that makes a difference.
I realize that I am Lucky enough to have such a shop owner and facility so close to hoome...5 blocks!! ....and I can see that he appreciates the company, the talks, and my patronage. He has a customer for life.
&quot;Gentle determination is the true strength of a man&quot;<br />My Mom<br />1946 ~ 2001<br />Cancer is not a faceless disease
07-16-2010, 04:09 PM,
For the $20,000 to $30,0000 that these shops invest for the high volume output compressors, which will never pay for themselves, the price of air fills is not really huge.  Some stores give away a ton of free air fills with each tank purchase, and most have volume purchase discounts.  If you would prefer to breathe off the air that comes off the gas station, go right ahead. 

People who have good relationships with a local dive store are not the ones who piss and moan, quibbling over every little dollar on an internet board.  They simply 'get it' and have an understanding of the big picture.  It is obvious the overwhelming majority of divers find a rewarding value in their dive store. 

Quality and service is remembered long after the price is forgotten.
07-16-2010, 04:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-16-2010, 04:32 PM by mattd.)
Tell my full fill card Smith sold me right before they closed about loyalty. I may pay a little more on a purchase if you help me pick it out. Otherwise I'm not paying double. It won't cost me anywhere near $30k to get my own compressor.
07-16-2010, 04:37 PM,

+1

Many compressors on the internet right now for lot less than that.  In fact, I know of one that is only two towns away from me that is a hell of a deal with cascade tanks, compressor, hook ups, manifold for a great deal.