Remember me
Lost Password Register

The VR3
07-08-2010, 11:44 PM,
The VR3
It seams to me a few years back VR3 computers were the thing to get. Now everyone is trying to sell them. I am a “new” technical diver looking to upgrade my computer. My nitek duo has become unreliable. The plan was to get a new nitek duo, but with all the VR3’s for sale it might be worth spending a bit more. I am just wondering if anyone has anything to say about that. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
07-09-2010, 09:32 AM,
Re: The VR3
The Shearwater computers, the latest craze, are suppose to be nice computers and I have heard really nice things about them.  I have only used one in a pool when I test dove a rEvo II CCR, very nice screen info output.  I myself couldn't bring myself to spend the extra money on one when the VR3 are popping up here and there for sale.  The VR3 gives you everything you need to know and VR/Delta P has been around the block a few times and are still popular by Tech divers all around the world.  Both computers from my understanding are great...I just choose to save some cash and buy a used VR3 HD.

If you plan to move towards CCR any time soon, the shearwater might be the better choice.  I figured I need a trimix computer now and when I move to CCR I will buy one with the computer of choice then...what the extra money when you are spending $10,000 on a new CCR unit.

I was diving a Uwatec Galileo Sol and Dive Rite Nitek Duo.  The Galileo was suppose to have a Trimix upgrade promised for the past 3 years including another promise this year about the Spring 2010.  They failed to bring it out, so I pushed the Galileo aside and bought the VR3.  I use the Galileo for a back up computer and SPG and now the Nitek Duo sits as a second back up...most of the time it spends in the case.

I think you would be just as happy with the VR3 as any other computer on the market...they all take time to get used to...but the choice is yours....its your life you trust with the computer.

The Strokes say &quot;Dual is OK&quot;.<br />The Koolaiders say &quot;Only use Halcyon wings and 104's&quot;.<br />The Cyber guys quote a formula.<br />......... and the rest of us just go diving
07-09-2010, 09:45 AM,
A side note is which program you use to cut your back up tables!  V planer is nice with the VR 3 but I need to use IDECO pro with the Shearwater!  Different Alithograms!  Vr3 is still a great computer!  An has the ability to plan your dive for the tables too.  Shearwater doesent have that!
TDI Advance Nitrox an Deco Trimix an Cave
07-14-2010, 07:17 PM,
Jeff is correct. If you have been planning your dives with a specific decompression model, and are comfortable with the results, you would probably appreciate a computer that uses the same algorithm.  I have used Decoplanner for OC and iDeco and now MV Plan for CCR.  OC we used tables exclusively, on CCR I'm using a Shearwater Pursuit monitoring 3 cells.  I'm very pleased with the Shearwater.  My usual dive buddies dive VR products (Sentinel and Ouroboros) and our Deco schedules haven't varied more than a few minutes on average deco dives.  180ft for 30 minutes for example.  I do like diving with a computer, but never had an issue with tables and a Bottom Timer and OC either. 
Talk to your potential instructor and see what they recommend. 

VR Technology is offering a trade in program that allowed you to trade an old computer for a significant discount.