Remember me
Lost Password Register

Accident at Wazee
07-12-2010, 08:49 AM,
Re: Accident at Wazee
My prayers for the families and all involved!!!!  (cry)
We lost a cave diver down here last week too.

Too Tragic.

My thoughts are with you all. 

Thanks!
Jean
Fort White , Florida
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
07-12-2010, 08:58 AM,
Names released: 
The only thing I take seriously when it comes to diving is safety.
07-12-2010, 09:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2010, 01:49 PM by mermaid.)
According to Channel 5 News this morning, the name of one diver, Milt Floyd, was released. 

He was a PADI instructor, taught recreational diving, was Tech. Certified and did most of his diving at technical depths.  I believe he was a member of mnscuba, (though possibly not active since 2007 if it is, in fact, his profile), and he was a member of Scubaboard. 

What a tragedy.         
07-12-2010, 09:32 AM,
Milt was a member of mnscuba.  We met him briefly at the GLSPS scuba show a couple years ago. 

An obituary has been posted for the other diver that passed:

I'm not sure if the other two divers were mnscuba members.  My heartfelt condolences to both of these families. 
--Jason
07-12-2010, 10:19 AM,
I just put the name to the face. I just talked to Milt at the dive shop Friday. We've crossed paths a few times and knew each other by face. I remember him being a real nice gentleman to talk with. 

That's really unfortunate.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
07-12-2010, 02:02 PM,
Milt was one of my groomsmen and a fellow instructor and dive buddy.  I know his enthusiasm for diving rubbed off on every student and every dive buddy he had.  I pray for him his wife and family along with the other divers and their families. I hope everyone here demonstrates respect, compassion and courtesy in their comments about the incident and to each other here in this forum. :-[
Life without challenges, danger or excitement is a waste of oxygen!
07-12-2010, 02:59 PM,
Here's an article that describes the friendship the two diver's shared:

--Jason
07-12-2010, 07:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-12-2010, 08:19 PM by kmurphy.)
I'd like to start by saying, "my condolences go out to the Families of the victims of this accident."

Milt was my Rescue Diver Instructor, he kept the class fun but at the same time, educational.

He taught us that one of the top priorities of rescue diving is "Don't become a victim while rescuing someone else."  Unfortunately that's easy to say in class during non-emergency conditions.

In the real life there is a lot of stress and emotion involved when you know your buddy is in serious condition. This can cloud your judgment; making it's easy to misjudge your own situation and make a hasty decision like "I need to get to the surface and start CPR a.s.a.p.", while ignoring, or forgetting your own obligations(IE deco).

It reminds us that your safety comes first; you are no good if you become a victim. In fact you have now made the situation worse as the paramedics have 2 or more people to care for on the scene of the accident.

07-12-2010, 09:07 PM,
Survivor made a statement here:

It looks like he is OK.  I can't imagine dealing with what he went through though.
07-13-2010, 07:25 AM,

the above link seems to have some pretty thorough discussions that we can all learn from.

While I did not personally know the divers, my condolences go out to their families, friends, and dive buddies. Having experienced  loss personally, please take comfort in the fact knowing that they died doing something they were extremely passionate about.