Remember me
Lost Password Register

CPR found to be somewhat effective with compression's only
07-29-2010, 07:25 AM,
CPR found to be somewhat effective with compression's only

Don't know how I would feel being one of the first test patient's that they tried this on. 
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
07-29-2010, 07:51 AM,
Re: CPR found to be somewhat effective with compression's only
I've been following a recent discussion on this. Who knows maybe over the next few years CPR will change.
The only thing I take seriously when it comes to diving is safety.
07-30-2010, 09:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2010, 05:38 PM by BigC.)
Having been a Paramedic/Fire Capt from 1997 until Aug 2006, I am not really surprised by this. The main concern is to keep the blood circulating throughout the body. It has been shown that continuing compressions with no breaths keeps the heart hopefully in the rhythm needed to be shocked. TO breath you have to stop compression, thus stopping the heart. HOWEVER, that being said, last January I was at my old work doing the evening shift. We have a 53yr old Vault manager with a history of cardiac problems as well as open heart surgery. She does not look after herself well, eats poorly, overworks herself, the stress level is ridiculous. So here I am in her area for some reason. I usually am never there at that time of night. I hear a scream from one of the vault clerks and I run into the vault in time to see the manger slumping to the floor. I assessed her and found she was not breathing. I immediately started CPR BUT I chose to do rescue breaths a: because I saw her go down, and b: It is something I feel in my professional opinion that it is a good thing to do. I performed CPR for 12 minutes before EMS got there. (I worked in a VERY high armed security job so it is not like the medics can just waltz right in) I brought her back twice, breathing on her own, then she would stop....so the third time....I just kept at it, even as she was coming around again. The medics got there hooked her up to the monitor. I was shocked. I had been able to keep her in V-fib ( a shock able rhythm) They gave her the first round of meds and shocked her. She went into a flatline (asystole)...which is expected after the first time. The second round....same thing. I figured she has had it because of her history. The third round drugs....then shock....I'll be damed if she didn't revert back into a rhythm with a pulse and breathing with rescue assistance. Anyway, we were all worried about brain function, as this reverts back to the discussion of weather to breath or not, after dropping her core Temp and putting her into a medically induced coma to keep her as still as possible to help her heal she rested. This was wed night. They were going to start warming her back up on Sat or Sun night. Friday night I got a call at work saying that she had woken up on her own and started fighting the hoses and such. Well, after a hospital stay and more resting she returned to work the 2nd week of March. She has no significant memory loss, a few short term but nothing major. It was really good to see her again. Funny thing is, out of my 9 yrs of doing this, and all of the equipment I had along with my meds, and this time I never had anything but CPR and rescue breathing, and she is the only person I have ever been able to save....go figure.

Moral of this story, the medical field can state and change whatever they like,  I will always do breathing for a CPR victim, hopefully though, I never have to again.
&quot;Gentle determination is the true strength of a man&quot;<br />My Mom<br />1946 ~ 2001<br />Cancer is not a faceless disease
07-30-2010, 07:16 PM,
Congratulations on the save!  I was an EMT for 12 years (1995 to 2007) somewhere in there, about 2004 I was lucky enough to get to respond to a person down.  He was about 80 years old and staring sightlessly up at the ceiling when I and a former Paramedic arrived.  The old Paramedic did this "flick" thing and the victims dentures went flying out.  He proceeded to do Oxygen by the Manually Triggered Ventilator (They won't let us use them anymore because someone's afraid we're going to blow out a lung or something!)  I've got the AED and Thank Heavens this man was wearing a snap front shirt...Buttons would have gone flying!  Wink  A Very Newly Certified EMT came to assist us with chest compressions while I set up the AED.  You should have seen the smile on his face as he was getting to do real CPR!  ;D  AED Pads in place I called for everyone to clear while it assessed the victim and then shocked him, and again, and again.  He came back after the third shock and was restless and trying to talk with the Paramedics as they wheeled him away.

Side note:  The shift after mine had to deal with the family members who were upset that the were not informed that their dad had been sent to the hospital.  How were we to know...He didn't have a tag saying who to contact...

The nurses in the hospital informed the family that they should be happy that WE had saved the man, and that he was "dead" before we brought him back for the hospital to be able to take care of him!

My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
08-01-2010, 09:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2010, 06:17 AM by BigC.)
It really does feel good when we get to do our jobs and it works out in the end! Some people would be surprised at the response of the family, but it happens ALL to frequently. The sisters of my lady were bitchin about breaking her ribs and causing massive hematomas on her front.....said maybe I used excessive force......um.........ya......most people don't know that CPR is the most traumatic thing the body can go through and if you don't break ribs.....your not doing it right.

Ah well...she is doing good and they family can think whatever they want.
&quot;Gentle determination is the true strength of a man&quot;<br />My Mom<br />1946 ~ 2001<br />Cancer is not a faceless disease
08-09-2010, 05:03 PM,
I have been a paid EMT since 2005 till current.  What I have noticed, that the new cpr compressions only, also helps those who are afraid to do mouth to mouth or do not have a mask or shield around.  Scared that they may get a disease.  Also patients can vomit and other things so that why I think people would rather give compressions that mouth to mouth.
Unless its someone you like!  :Smile  You can also practice mouth to mouth at home! :Smile
08-11-2010, 02:30 PM,
if you have a mask make sure it has a one way valve in it!!  ......story learned the hard way......YUCK!!
08-12-2010, 09:34 PM,
10-4  I have seen what they have had for lunch! :o
09-11-2010, 06:48 PM,
Bystander CPR is now being taught as compressions only, calling 911 being the most important step. Trained Rescuer CPR has not changed other than some minor tweaks like rates of compression and hand placement number of shocks etc.
09-11-2010, 11:47 PM,
Hi,
  Yes capt 15 is correct,chest compressions only for lay rescuers,Until someone has
  a barrier device.The oxygen level is high enough for a FEW minutes while compressions only are being performed.The victim stills need Oxygen!
    This was discussed in 1992 and now is on TV ads etc.911 operators tell this so at least compressions are being performed.

Key point the victim usually needs to be defibbed by an AED or defibrillator.

My qualifications started teaching CPR at North Memorial in 1971(Also Padi Instructor M1279)Certified Cpr Instructor  in 1972 First American Red Cross instructor class,AHA Faculty Cpr and Acls  Affilate  Instructor Trainer instructor from then to present,
  Also Paramedic,and ER tech.
    More changes may come out soon!
    Safe Diving,
                    Jerry Lang