Remember me
Lost Password Register

Should I buy this BC?
08-04-2010, 05:00 PM,
Should I buy this BC?
I am in the market for a new(used) BC.  It seems as though my otherone...uh...shrunk.  :Smile

I found this BC and I can get it for 90 bucks.  I can't find any info on this older model.  Do you all know anything about it?

08-04-2010, 05:28 PM,
Re: Should I buy this BC?
It looks real old.  Look at it first, make sure the bladder is in good condition and not rotted out and that the inflator and dumps all work.

If I may, consider a BP&W.  They don't cost a ton of money, and they are more adaptable for cold water diving.  The steel plate can get some weight off your weight belt especially with a dry suit.
08-04-2010, 05:46 PM,
Do you have any ideas of what BP/W would be ok and on the cheaper side.  I'm thinking I will get my dry suit cert soon.
08-04-2010, 06:31 PM,
I dive a DSS and really like it.  A bit more budget minded is Golem gear.  Here's a full set for $360 brand new. You can probably do better used.  The great thing about a BP&W is that the harness is simple and cheap and plates don't go bad even if they are old.  There are lots of choices in wings too.

08-04-2010, 08:17 PM,
Not sure if Cressi's site is accurate, but according to them- Smith was the only Cressi dealer in the state.  You could probably find a shop to service it but you never know. May want to call a few shops if you were serious about it.
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
08-05-2010, 07:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-05-2010, 08:26 AM by arcFlash.)
All back plates are essentially the same. It would be difficult to fine markedly different plates so go on price and don't buy the Phenol formaldehyde resins (plastic like) one unless you need it for travel.

Wings are where it's at in design. Good luck choosing. I own 5 ,like 3 and prefer 1 so I'm not very good at getting the correct wing. Lots of used on the market.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.