Remember me
Lost Password Register

Computer ?'s
08-04-2010, 08:57 PM,
Computer ?'s
I am in the market for a dive computer...

I'm interested in a wrist mounted dive computer and have a few questions. 

1.  Which manufacturer of backlit wrist computers would be recommended?

2.  What difference is there in what secures the module into a console vs. the wrist mount?
     (I've noticed some modules will fit in many consoles)

3.  In addition to different gas modes, what else is important when looking for a dive computer?

4.  Where is the "best place" to look for a good dive computer?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!  THANKS!

08-05-2010, 08:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-05-2010, 08:12 AM by arcFlash.)
Re: Computer ?'s
[quote='mermaid link' pid='6056' dateline='1280977071']
I am in the market for a dive computer...

I'm interested in a wrist mounted dive computer and have a few questions. 

1.  Which manufacturer of backlit wrist computers would be recommended?
>> All computers have their market niche so this is like asking what car should I buy. We'd need to know your requirements just like a car. What do you need a computer to do for you? If it's just recreational and shallow and you don't expect to \"dive hard\" anyone will do. Maybe consider the software that comes with it so you can look at your dives. Some computers come with really cool software, some don't. Do you want detailed dive information downloads? Air integrated computer? Dual gas+, Nitrox compatible?

2.  What difference is there in what secures the module into a console vs. the wrist mount?
     (I've noticed some modules will fit in many consoles)
>>I don't understand this questions. The logical answer is friction but that's unlikely to be what your asking.

3.  In addition to different gas modes, what else is important when looking for a dive computer?
>>Gas mode? Do you mean EAN or dual gas? important: It needs to be easy for you to use. Older divers like color displays for easy reading, black on silver isn't so easy for example. Can you work the buttons in 7m gloves?

4.  Where is the \"best place\" to look for a good dive computer?
>> Your dive buddies will be honest with you about their gear and what they like and don't like so when you go out ask them. Most like what they have so that supports the \"all computers have value\". I like basic computers, others like full featured.

You really need to define how you dive, what you want and what you want to spend. Otherwise your question is like posting, \"What's the best car for me?\"

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!  THANKS!

[/quote]
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
08-05-2010, 09:27 AM,

08-05-2010, 09:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-05-2010, 09:35 AM by arcFlash.)
A high coefficient of friction. Like a wine cork.

08-05-2010, 10:53 AM,
The Tusa 700 IQ has worked well for me and it is extremely easy to use and get data from. It has dual gas capability and with that said you can use it for air, enriched air up to 50%, or switch gas while underwater to the second mix. The thing is adjustable for the level of conservativeness but it is still almost too conservative. The dive plan feature is straight forward. I think they have a Tusa IQ 800 too but I havent looked at the new features of that one yet. The Suunto computers are hard to beat as far as dependability and being they are so popular, using the same RGBM as your buddy is a good thing on "edge of the recreational envelope" type dives. They are not as user friendly as the Tusa in my opinion. The Tusa is a "Puck style" like most Suunto's so it could be wrist or consol mounted easily
08-05-2010, 11:06 AM,
Hi Michelle! I bought a Cressi model: Archimede I. I got it as NOS (New old stock) on Ebay for $100. It is a wrist mount, single gas and will handle nitrox. Very easy to use and it has a large easy to read numbers. It can also be hooked up to download to a computer with an adapter. It is made by Sieko and they make basically the same model for a few different brand names. The newest model of this unit runs from $260 to $300 and is now dual gas.
I'm a Mog, Half man half dog - I'm my own best friend.<br />Alcohol doesn't make you fat... it makes you Lean... on tables, chairs &amp; random people.
08-05-2010, 12:23 PM,

I dive with a suunto vy-tech air integrated computer. It is a wrist mount. My first computer was a Viper wrist mount. The main reason I go with a wrist mounted computer is because I have a technical gear set up. The main theory behind this is when you are being propelled with your scooter you can still read your gauge. This came in very handy when we were riding the tow sled. It also eliminates hanging dangly things that can be an entanglement hazard. Even though my computer is air integrated I still carry an SPG. The air integrated model is very handy. It actually calculates your remaining airtime based on current consumption rate. The only down side to having a wrist mounted computer, is that it is a lot easier to get lost. I have lost two.  >Sad
08-05-2010, 12:52 PM,
Easy to loose, good point. Also, easy to forget. I've made jumps and forgot the computer. Console is always there.
08-05-2010, 02:03 PM,

Me too! I have found when that happens once or twice I get alot more dives in & bottom time  ;D JK
08-05-2010, 04:46 PM,
Me too! I have found when that happens once or twice I get alot more dives in & bottom time  ;D JK
[/quote]

I like how you think Shooter  ;D (JKT)