Remember me
Lost Password Register

Couple of computer prices
08-06-2010, 07:38 AM,
Couple of computer prices
I'm looking at getting a base model computer.  My current set of gauges broke and I need to buy some new ones and so I figured I'd look at getting a simple computer.  I'm looking for used computers for the most part and wondered what you guys thought about them.

The Oceanic VEO 100 NX w/compass.  New it appears that this computer was approx $430 but isn't availible on most online retailers now.  It has the ability to do nitrox, but as of now I don't see my self needing that.  But I guess its nice to know that its there.  I can grab this for $215.  Seems like a good deal.  1 year old he says in good shape.  It about 50% of of retail.

The Oceanic DataMax Pro.  I can't find much info about this computer.  I think its fairly old.  As far as I know its not the Pro Plus or the Pro Plus II.  Just the normal datamax pro.  It seems like it may function for what I need but does seem very outdated.  Doesn't do nitrox but thats fine.  The little bit I found about it makes me think the going rate should be sub $100 but he wants $225.  Is there something I'm missing here?

What do you guys think?
08-06-2010, 10:32 AM,
Re: Couple of computer prices

Hey Noah
                       I've run a Data max pro plus for ten years now, and it works dandy for me, in fact just scored another one, I paid $350 I think, maybe the guy screwed me, (that bast,,,) but I'm happy with it, does everything I need, dont need to get my e-mails on it like Hydro, but a lot of young guys are more hi-tech then me.        TRINITY
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
08-06-2010, 11:41 AM,

Oceanic VEO 100 NX w/compass - newer, less money, more functionality

Oceanic DataMax Pro - older, more money, less functionality.

Does that sum it up?  Wink
08-06-2010, 04:39 PM,
Check Diversupply. I think they have the Veo100 on sale right now, it might be the wrist one but it a very good, simple to use computor.
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
08-06-2010, 04:51 PM,
I just checked it was the Veo 180 wrist mount at 219.00
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
08-06-2010, 07:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-06-2010, 08:20 PM by mermaid.)
Here ya go Noah...

The DataMax PRO information is from Diver Magazine...March of 96.

The DataMax PRO PLUS information is from Dixie Divers...August 2010.

The Oceanic DataMax PRO computer is an advanced air integrated dive computer which is very simple to use. Set around the border of the screen, three colour coded bar graphs make it easy to interpret the status of a dive at a glance. A Tissue Loading Bar Graph (TLBG) allows you to see how close you are to the no decompression limit and two other graphs show representations of tank pressure and ascent rate. In conjunction with these simple references, the computer also gives the required detailed numerical information. The DataMax PRO also displays air time remaining based on depth, dive duration, breathing rate, safe ascent rate and decompression obligation. During a dive the screen will flip to an alternate dive display every 15 seconds for a period of two seconds. This alternate screen displays dive number, maximum depth and elapsed bottom time.

If at any time the DataMax PRO senses that you are entering a potentially dangerous situation an audible alarm will sound to alert you, and a display on the computer will flash to let you know which violation has occurred. If the tissue loading bar graph enters the red zone indicating a need for decompression, a double beep will sound and the screen will switch to decompression mode. The TLBG will indicate a decompression ceiling and the screen will display the decompression time. After the dive, the computer enters the surface mode and by holding down the activation button you can enter the memory log and retrieve pertinent information for the previous nine dives.
The Datamax Pro has a depth rating of 249' and if the computer enters a violation of either maximum depth or decompression, it will go into gauge mode for 24 hours. During this time it will display only basic information, such as depth and bottom time. The Datamax automatically adjusts to altitudes up to 14,000' and its J-size battery is user replaceable. The owner's manual is very explicit and easy to follow.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Like it's predecessor, Oceanic's new DataMax Pro Plus features a large, easy to read display coupled with our patented Graphic Diver Interface (green, yellow and red bar graphs), providing all the information a diver needs at a glance. Time and time again, as consumers and dealers alike inquire about the next generation of air integrated computer one common theme prevails, "Keep it simple and easy to read like the original Pro". The Pro Plus, while physically more compact and streamlined, features numbers and graphic icons that are actually larger than the original and operates much the same way underwater.

Many dive computers have become so advanced, they threaten to be more complicated than the dive tables that they were initially designed to replace. As divers demand more from their diving equipment and as technology makes it a reality, at some point you have to step back and ask yourself "How much is too much? At what point does a new bell or whistle outweigh simplicity and ease of use?" Oceanic has long been known for technologically advanced, yet user friendly dive computers. The Pro Plus is no different. Our objective early on in designing the Pro Plus was to let the diver decide. The biggest difference is freedom of choice. Freedom to have access to more information and customize the computer to your diving experience and style. With rapid advance dual button operation, the diver can easily customize many features and operation of the computer. Or, simply push a button and go diving. The Pro Plus really can be as simple or as advanced as the diver wants it to be.

08-07-2010, 11:09 AM,
Wow.  That's way more info than I can find.  Thanks!

I was offered a gekko console with nitrox capabilities no compass for 250. 

What do you think?
08-07-2010, 07:00 PM,
I, myself, was looking at the Suunto Gekko wrist mount until I saw that it didn't have a "true" backlight.  That may not be important to you, but it's a feature I'm looking for.

Noah, are you talking about the "Gekko" Air/Nitrox 2"? 

If so, here's some more info. this is from Leisure Pro.

Suunto "Gekko" Air/Nitrox 2 Gauge Computer Console

A NEW VERSATILE COMPUTER FROM SUUNTO
The Suunto Gekko is an ideal choice for sports divers who do not require a PC interface or simulation features. It can be used with both air and nitrox and is designed to give the specifics of any diving situation, including decompression, at a glance. Both ascent rate and available no-decompression time are displayed graphically with clear, color-coded indicators. Visual and audible alarms are given when necessary. Maximum depth and dive time alarms can be enabled. The Gekko uses the Suunto RGBM decompression model and has a user-replaceable battery and user-adjustable metric/imperial units.

EASY TO OPERATE AND EXCELLENT VALUE
Easy to use buttons and a straightforward menu structure make Gekko simple to operate. The extensive logbook memory stores up to 50 hours of dive profiles and logbook data, including dive start time and date, dive time, maximum depth attained, and temperature at maximum depth. In addition, the dive history keeps track of up to 999 dives and 999 dive hours, as well as the maximum depth ever reached.

PHOSPHORESCENT LCD DISPLAY
The Gekko is equipped with a super-bright phosphorescent display, which can be charged with a dive torch, providing long lasting illumination of the display in dark conditions.

Pressure Gauge

The pressure gauge is also color coded for ease of reading and gives pressure readings from 0 to 5000 psi; instrument has luminous dial for ease of reading inlow light conditions
FEATURES
Based on the Vyper/Cobra/Vytec platform.
Air/Nitrox modes (no gauge mode).
Extensive memory functions.
User replaceable battery.
Easy and reliable push-buttons.
Audible alarm.
Super-bright phosphorescent display.
Simplified menu-structure (easier to use).
50 hour dive memory and logbook.
User selectable metric/imperial units.

08-07-2010, 08:10 PM,

As a matter of preference, I really like the wrist mounted air integrated computer.  I do not see myself ever buying a console.  In fact, I would only dive one if there were no other options.  I just don't like them.  Wrist mount all the way.
08-07-2010, 09:41 PM,
My budget doesn't allow an air integrated wrist mount.  My goal is a used computer right around the 150 mark.  I like the idea of the wrist mount in some respects but I also know thats one more thing I can easily drop in the water or forget at home.  Plus I'd need a new SPG anyways.