Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diver down under flag and reel
08-10-2010, 10:50 AM,
Diver down under flag and reel
I am going to buy a diver down under flag and wanted to ask a few things.
Which reel should I get to go with it, pro's & con's of them.
I also wanted to know what it is like to pull a flag around while your diving? Is it a lot of work to pull all over, or not.

Also If anyone has a used reel that they want to get rid of I would be interested in buying one.

Thanks
Joel
08-10-2010, 11:22 AM,
Re: Diver down under flag and reel
Towing the flag isn't that bad.  You will use a little more air towing, compared to not, but it is not much more.

If you purchase a reel, I would suggest getting a small ratcheting type.

One like this: 
08-10-2010, 11:53 AM,
Go for a float like rig if you can they pull a little harder, but the flag always stays above water! If you want to go DIY you can get a tire tube, a milk crate and a stick to hold your flag Smile
The only thing I take seriously when it comes to diving is safety.
08-10-2010, 04:32 PM,
I agree with scubafreek...I like the ratcheting type of reel. 

One thing to consider when pulling a flag, if you get into underwater trees, it's a "reel" hassle.  But other than that, it's a job that needs to be done.  Just pay attention to what you're doing with it...ie...pullling it underwater, coming up from 60 feet to 20 feet, and not reeling, your fins getting tangled in the line, stuff like that.  It really is another task you must learn to master, along with everything else associated with diving.  If it gets to be too much hassle, hand it off to your buddy, after all, we're all in this together!  BTW..I HATE navigating trees with a flag...especially in low viz...lol! 
08-10-2010, 07:23 PM,
I made mine out of a inner tube and milk crate for cheap! Got the tube at FleetFarm. I got the flag from the Scuba Center in Eagan. I bought a used cave style reel on Ebay, I think the total thing came in around $50. Dragging it though sunken trees or heavy weeds is a pain - otherwise not that big of a deal.
I'm a Mog, Half man half dog - I'm my own best friend.<br />Alcohol doesn't make you fat... it makes you Lean... on tables, chairs &amp; random people.
08-10-2010, 08:53 PM,
I hauled a flag for the first time yesterday and had no issues at all. I picked up a tube/float with flag off Craigslist for $30 and I LOVE IT!

No way I can pull it under and in all honesty, while I am still mastering the bouancy thing, it actually helped when I started sinking.

I was a little worried at first about pulling the flag along but seriously - with this set up, I had NO issues at all

A plus is you can surface and toss whatever loot you have into the float rather than haul it with you while diving.
08-11-2010, 01:02 PM,
I bought this one last summer and it sounds very similar to acharpenter's if not the same.

I've had two anchors I found hooked to it and a nice rock I found in the center of it and was only halfway through my dive and had no problems towing it around to finish the dive.
I also like it because if you aren't perfectly bouyant at the moment while diving it supports you with very little effort, so little in fact that I find I do alot less air adjusting with my BCD.
One downfall is if the wind is blowing hard, it catches the wind and if you're going against it gets tough, so what I do instead is start upwind of where I want to start and it becomes a drift dive, kind of fun.
08-11-2010, 01:27 PM,
You may consider the simple spool. They are easy to use and small if you only need 50-60 feet of line. Towing a flag on a deep dive is a pain. I plant it and return to it if I'm going past 40 or so. I consider it a hazard past 40 and I believe the law allow for it if it's a hazard to the diver. I return to it so it's all good.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
08-11-2010, 01:29 PM,
Funny bowman cause that is the dive flag I just bought from them. It is a steal right now on sale, reg. $46 sale $24.
Now to find an inexpensive reel to go with it. ...
08-11-2010, 02:37 PM,
One of my best finds is using the float line with the foam filled core.. just strap on however long of line you might need, it's always floating, floats up with you when you start to surface, doesn't seem to tangle near as much as regular line (actually, it doesn't tangle at all).  I've swam through a lot of trees and around a lot of coral with little to no issues.  Well worth it.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?