Remember me
Lost Password Register

GLSPS CHarlie Anchor - Just For Fun - Madeira Monitoring Project
08-12-2010, 10:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-13-2010, 08:02 AM by PJK.)
GLSPS CHarlie Anchor - Just For Fun - Madeira Monitoring Project
The GLSPS is conducting another Project this weekend.  The Name of the Project is the "Charlie Anchor - Just For Fun and Madeira Monitoring Project.  The goal is to monitor and document the condition of the Just for fun, the Madeira Pilot House and, check the chain that secures the Charlie Anchor to the bottom of Lake Superior that was installed by the GLSPS two years ago.  The divers and crew will be shooting video and will also be taking still pictures of the shipwrecks, (and Anchor) mainly for documentation. 

This project will also help the GLSPS determine if anything can be done to reduce the deterioration of the Madeira's Pilot House.  Perhaps we can rebuild it??  We are really not sure that it can be done?  It's been said that the Pilot house moves around from year to year.  If it does, maybe we could start with securing it??  Or maybe that wouldn't be a good idea either?  It may need a little give so that it doesn't completely tear it apart even more?  Any ideas out there?

This Project filled up quick.  Those of you that would really like to join the GLSPS on any Project, need to sign up as soon as you can.  Please log onto the website at to find out what projects are still available this year and by contacting the Leader.  If anything, at least go up to dive some of these shipwrecks. Call your local Dive Shop to see if they are running an organized trip along the North shore of Lake Superior.  Or call Jay Hanson from Superior Dive Charters, he will be able to take you out to dive the shipwrecks too.

I will post the results of this project when it's completed.  Hopefully the weather will hold out?  I heard that the storms are moving through again.

Safe travels and diving.

Phil Kerber
GLSPS President
Safe Diving<br />PJK
08-19-2010, 07:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-19-2010, 07:47 AM by PJK.)
Re: GLSPS CHarlie Anchor - Just For Fun - Madeira Monitoring Project
Last weekend the Charlie Anchor - Just For Fun and Madeira Monitoring Project was attempted.  The R/V Preservation departed the dock Friday at 8:30 PM and cruised north.  We only made it to Mcquad Boat Launch because of two reasons.  One was because of the building seas.  Two, the boat needed fuel.  The next morning we were up by 6:00 AM and continued our journey north.  Filled up the fuel tank at Knife River Marina.  We arrived at the Just For Fun site at 11:30 AM and started the dive.  After the dive we had Lunch and listened to the weather and found that the waves were beginning to build again.  We then headed over the the Charlie Anchor site and saw that the waves were directly moving into that Bay and were not able to dive.  We then ducked into Silver Bay Marina for Dinner. 

After Dinner we listened to the weather and heard that the winds were increasing to 30 knots and seas were expected to build 8 to 10 feet by late Sunday AM.  We then scrapped the Project and headed south to attempt to out run the winds and get as far as possible.  We made it as far as Two Harbors and moored in Agate Bay on the Ely buoy.  We woke up at 6:oo AM before the waves got to big for us to travel and for our final leg back to Spirit Lake Marina (Home Port on the St Louis River).  Arrived at 2:30 PM Sunday afternoon.  The GLSPS will need to reschedule part of the Project.  It was not completed because of high winds and waves.  Most likely it will not be this year unless the time allows us to gather another crew for the project.

Otherwise, it was still one heck of a great Cruise up the North Shore of Lake Superior.  Sometimes we don't have allot of control over the weather or diving but, we sure have a great time cruising and attempting to complete each project.  Thanks to Bob Olson the Captain and, the crew on the Project!  Steve S, Kelly M, Todd O, and Terry T.  I hope they all had a great time!  I know I did, as usual!

Phil Kerber
GLSPS President
Project Leader   
Safe Diving<br />PJK
08-19-2010, 04:52 PM,
Yeah, sounds like it was just the wrong time for Lake Superior...actually, I dove the Madiera last Sat.  Supposed to be west winds, but it seemed more from the south...by the end of the afternoon, there were nice little breakers in the bay.  The Black Dog was held captive at Isle Royale for two extra days because of the strong southerly winds this past weekend...such is life, on the big lake.
08-19-2010, 06:29 PM,

Being "held captive" at IR looks like a great way to spend two extra days : )
08-19-2010, 06:34 PM,
Well it was only one extra day. Came across Tues. instead of Mon. Blackdog, Heyboy and Lake Superior Diver all tied up at Windigo.
Still had a good time, hiking, going to programs put on by the rangers. Great potluck Mon. evening including a pile of fish supplied by fisherman that were also hold up.

Al