Remember me
Lost Password Register

Anyone in the Coon Rapids area want to dive Labor day
08-26-2010, 02:32 PM,
Re: Anyone in the Coon Rapids area want to dive Labor day

K - I vote the quarry's then

Say meet at the county park Sunday September 5th at 2:00 pm?
08-26-2010, 06:18 PM,
Did you get your permits yet? 

I just read the information on the quarry, and it stated that a dive permit is needed from the county park office.

Can you get them the day that you dive?
08-26-2010, 08:02 PM,

Yep - meet at the office and pick up the permits at that time - free
08-27-2010, 07:04 AM,
A few more items that you might consider:

1) A cart or wagon to haul gear.  It is about a 1/2 mile from the parking lot to Quarry 18 through the woods.  Wheels make it much more tolerable.

2) Bug spray.  We used a fogger to spray down the entire gear-up area.  The mosiquitos are everywhere.

3) Drysuits if you've got one.  Temps on the bottom a few weeks ago were in the mid-40s.

Immediately to your left of the entry point is a 25 foot vertical wall -- very cool.  Straight across the entry point in about 20 feet of water you'll find the sailboat.  The fish stay mostly in the shallows, but there are a lot of them.

Looking forward to a report -- have a lot of fun.
08-27-2010, 08:55 AM,
I would love to meet you all in St. Cloud for the dive. However, I went to fill up my tanks yesterday and both needed to be inspected (last time was in 2003) and that takes 3 weeks to do. So I am tankless  :'( right now, however I could rent some tanks from a LDS for the day if I can't find someone with an extra.
I would be very cool if anyone wanted to dive in Spectacle, since that is so close to me.
08-27-2010, 09:16 AM,

@acharpenter-  How do you feel about this info?  I don't love the idea of the long walk but I'm ok with it.  I don't know that I'd be able to find any kind of cart or anything.  Bugs are fine with me, I can handle using bugspray.  The temp is my biggest concern.  Right now all I have is a 5mm suit.  That might bet a bit chilly but we'll see.  I'm going out today and hopefully some next week to test out the suit.  I also think I might buy a 7mm before that day.  Hopefully that will be warm enough.  I've never really had to deal with that cold of water so I dont know what to expect.

@Scubasleep-  It would be great if you could come up for the day.  Just let us know!

Josh
08-27-2010, 09:39 AM,

Scubasleep - I'm going to be out of town for that dive but can send a couple tanks with Angie if she'll deliver.  ;D  They're old and beat up but they'll work.
08-27-2010, 10:59 AM,

I can totally deliver - can grab them from ya on Monday  ;D

@acharpenter-  How do you feel about this info?  I don't love the idea of the long walk but I'm ok with it.  I don't know that I'd be able to find any kind of cart or anything.  Bugs are fine with me, I can handle using bugspray.  The temp is my biggest concern.  Right now all I have is a 5mm suit.  That might bet a bit chilly but we'll see.  I'm going out today and hopefully some next week to test out the suit.  I also think I might buy a 7mm before that day.  Hopefully that will be warm enough.  I've never really had to deal with that cold of water so I dont know what to expect.

@Scubasleep-  It would be great if you could come up for the day.  Just let us know!

Josh

[/quote]

Josh - my scuba tote is on wheels and I do have a drysuit!!! Woo woo but, maybe we should stick with Spectacle:
1. No 1/2 mile trek
2. No worries about icy water
3. Joel can join us
4. Closer to the cities

Still planning on meeting at 2 pm beach access on east side.......sound good all?
08-27-2010, 11:15 AM,
So is that still on Sept. 5th @ 2 pm on Spectacle Lake
Thank you for the ability to deliver some air for me. ;D

I am sure that detectorguy, if he's not busy, would like to dive up near home. I'll ask him.
08-27-2010, 08:52 PM,
If you guys are worried about the temps, just stay shallower.  Lots of things to see in the shallow waters.

Just a thought.