Remember me
Lost Password Register

Anyone in the Coon Rapids area want to dive Labor day
09-02-2010, 06:19 AM,
Re: Anyone in the Coon Rapids area want to dive Labor day
As far as I can tell its going to be me, Acharpenter and You.  That gives us 3.  I sure would be fun to meet some more of you guys.

@ScubaSleep-  Where do you live?  I'm planning on having one of my tanks hydro'd by a guy that will do it why you wait.  He does the hydro, vis, and fill for $25 he told me.  I was planning on doing 4 tanks but now I'm only going to do 2.  He has room for 6 tanks.  If you can hook up with me before sunday I could grab yours and bring them with.  That would make the drive for me more worth it too.  I'm heading back to Coon Rapids from Fargo on Saturday Morning.  When we get there we will unpack then head to the Fair.  Sunday I'm planning on meeting up with the guy to get my tanks done.  Let me know if you want me to bring yours in.
09-02-2010, 09:00 AM,
I wish I would have asked everyone here first.  Tongue
When I went in to get my 2 tanks filled they said I need to have a Hydo done to them both. So I was thinking to myself, well they are of now use to me unless I can fill them so I told the dive shop to go ahead and send them in. (three weeks till they are back). $30 each, I think thats without the fill... can't remember.
I would have preferred to have my tanks back right away, and to make use of the drive. Doh!
Thanks anyways.
Luckily there is MUCH love on mnscuba.com  ;D as Lynn and Angie are helping me with my lack of air. 
09-02-2010, 10:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-02-2010, 01:30 PM by Arkman.)
we need to work out the details.

Who:     Arkman, Acharpenter, Scubasleep, Acharpenters Friend?, Extreme Shallow Diver?  Anyone else?
Where:  Spectacle Lake Beach access.
What:   Super awesome diving.  1 tank for sure possibly 2 or 3 if my uncle will let me use his.
When:   2pm

Does anyone know what the water temps are there?  I only have a 5mm jumpsuit for now but if I need to I can rent a different suit.
09-02-2010, 11:01 AM,
I have no way to get a hold of John (detectorguy), if anybody has his number tell him to log on. However we exchanged e-mails recently and this is what he was telling me.

"Hey Joel, I like diving in Spectacle Lake. The clarity there is better than Square lake but there is not as much to see. There are two sunken boats. One is North of Buckhorns Resort in front of a green wood boathouse in about 17' of water and the other is an upside down small sailboat straight across the lake and a bit South infront of a boat lift with a green canvas top and an american flag in the yard. This one is about 20' off the dock and in about 20' of water. This one is not much to see. There is also a lifeguard tower in about 30' of water. There are the typical odd treasures near Buckhorns and Manke's resorts."
So that is at least a little guidance for making a dive plan.
I've boated there once and it has a dock and a sandy boat launch... hope that helps.
Joel
09-02-2010, 01:15 PM,

2pm beach access on East side of lake - I thinnk I have another friend joining us...wont know until Sunday though

I will be bringing my 3m and 7m suits. Monday I dove Square in my 3m and was still too warm. I should think you will be fine in a 5 ml but Im not a freeze baby so take it FWIW

Cell 612-220-4369
09-02-2010, 01:31 PM,
I updated my last post with the correct details.  My cell number is 218.234.0901
09-02-2010, 07:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-14-2020, 10:13 AM by DetectorGuy.)
I am not sure if I can make it on Sunday or not, but If I can't, Here are the coords to the small wrecks on Spectacle:
Small wood boat with blocks in it sitting in 17' of water just south of the green wood boat house that is just North of Buckhorns Resort: N45 34.311' W93 224.704' This boat has a classic shape and I like the way the seats and the stern look. Worth diving if you dive this lake.
The upside down sailboat is in 20' of water: N45 34.230' W93 24.257'. This boat isn't much to see but there should be a dead muskrat near it and a 41' deep area just out from there going West.
The metal lifeguard tower is in about 30' deep water: N45 34.351' W93 24.510' This is in the silty bottom.
There is a small crater in the silt soup bottom at about 39' deep with a plowed trail where a small airplane crashed in the 1960's: N45 34.439' W93 24.620'. There is nothing to see here except a 3' deep hole with vertical sides in the pudding like silt where the plane was at one time. The 40 something years haven't eroded this hole as the top of the hole is at 36' deep.
Buckhorns Resort is West of the boat ramp (across the lake) and there is a nice 45 degree slope on the sandy bottom there with misc trinkets there. The resort has a line of wood changing rooms that run parallel to the shore about 60' back on shore. This area has be dove heavily so any treasure would be new or worthless bottles. Mankes Resort is on the South shore and has small white cabins (I think) I haven't dove here much but holds the promise of good junk.

All the sites l have listed here are probably best dove from a boat as the surface swim from the boat ramp would be brutal at best.

From what I can tell there is not that great of diving here below 25' as the bottom turns to crap deeper than 23' The weeds this time of year probably are thick above 16' deep so that gives you a narrow slot of what I would call great local diving between 16' and 25'.
09-02-2010, 08:07 PM,
Thanks John,
It is very helpful to know the "hot spots" to go check out. I hope you can make it out and dive with us.
I am not sure where the beach access on the east side of the lake is with relation to the dive sites you spoke of.
Angie - do you know if we have a little swim to get to these sites without a boat?
Joel
cell
763-439-9183
09-03-2010, 09:50 AM,
Dunno - figured meet at the beach would be easiest. We can always move if need be - I have not dove this Lake before either
09-03-2010, 10:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2010, 10:50 AM by Arkman.)
This is what happens when you are bored at work on a Friday before diving.

John-I hope you don't mind me putting this map together and using your info.  If you do let me know and I'll take it down.