Remember me
Lost Password Register

Gear
03-21-2003, 06:08 PM,
Gear
Hi, I am a very new diver and thinking about getting some of my own gear in a while. I would like to know if the Sherwood
Avid BCD is a good choice, if it is not, then what would you all recommend?
03-21-2003, 06:12 PM,
Re:Gear
It's crap. There are plenty of archives here so that you can do your own research.
03-21-2003, 08:40 PM,
Greetings and welcome to the board. I think you will find that BC selection/recomendation varies alot. What kind of diving are you planning to do (besides all kinds Wink)? I think the best advise that anyone will be able to give you is to go to a LDS, and see what they have and perhaps rent. That way if you try a few types, you can find one that feels right for you. And it's a good excuse to get wet!
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
03-21-2003, 08:53 PM,
I think one of the worst times to buy new equipment is when you first start diving. The problem is that you have no idea what you really want or like. I would recommend renting a couple different BCs this year. I would also talk to a couple different dive shops to get their opinion. You can find quite a bit of commentary on BCs by going to . They have an equipment section dedicated to BC discussions.
--Jason
03-21-2003, 10:50 PM,
I think Jason is right on, I went to a few dive shops and selected Going Under Dive Shop in Osseo because they felt right for me. I bought one of their package deals and stared from there.
03-22-2003, 09:32 AM,
Do yourself a favor by not wasting tons of money on useless pieces of equipment that diveshops try to sell you, and get it right the first time by getting a BP-harness-wing setup. It's cheaper, more durable, easier to use and the best fit you'll ever find, plus that you have a system that'll work optimally from a 30ft reefdive to a 300ft wreckdive. Check out H2 and DIR on this board and you'll find out more info about it, or send me an email if you'd like more advice.
03-22-2003, 11:53 AM,
You'll want to visit several dive shops in your area not just to see what gear they have but what they recommend and why. Questions, questions, lots of questions. Do your research, and this board as well as others can help you with that also, and then ask them. You'll also want to visit several shops as you will want to develop relationships with one or more shops for gear, service, classes, and activities. You'll find that most shops have a "personality" that may or may not jive with your own so visit at least a few. Some people like to buy off the internet and you'll want to explore that option as well - both pros and cons.
T
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
03-22-2003, 12:57 PM,
If you buy from the internet, don't expect the local dive shops to help you with questions or free repairs.

When you purchase from a local store you not only get to see your products before you purchase, you also get thier experience and knowledge. You may pay a little more but I think you get much more value. After all you can't fill your tanks over the internet! If you don't support your local shops they can't just exist on tank fills.

I have no connection with a shop. I am new to this sport, but I have seen the internet sites do major damage to the local R/C hobby stores. It amazed me when I saw a kid come into a store and was upset when they said they would have to charge him to help him setup an R/C Truck that he had purchsed from a web site. *Off my soap box now*
03-24-2003, 08:30 AM,
Yep, there are definitely some cons to going the internet route. I personally am a proponent of developing LDS "relationships" and I patronize several local shops and I see the value in doing so. It is a decision a person has to make for themselves. Do your research and ask your questions to make an informed purchase decision.
T
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
03-24-2003, 11:20 AM,
I had not thought of visiting several shops. This is probably as or more important than trying several BCs. A great fitting BC is a good thing, but a good fit with your shop is even better. Although there are some arguements for internet purchases, when you first start off, a LDS is really the way to go. They can generally provide answers and solutions much easier than mail order. As an added bonus, it's great to have a relationship with the person who will service your equipment.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom