Remember me
Lost Password Register

sweet deal
08-28-2010, 12:09 PM,
sweet deal
I just made a deal with a guy to buy his aluminum 80 and steel tank.  About 30 pounds of soft weights, Hood, gloves all for $100.  The aluminum is about 8 years old and the steel 10ish.  They need a hydro but I figure all of that for $100.  His can I go wrong.  He also wants to sell me a mares pneumatic spear gun for 20% of it cost new.  I didnt want a spear gun but I might now. ;D

I feel like i'm getting a really good deal.  I hope its not too good to be true.
08-28-2010, 01:39 PM,
Re: sweet deal
as long as they pass hydro, it's a deal!  (if you pass on the speargun, let me know...  don't really need one either since I picked up a cheap pole spear a while back, but I've been more and more tempted to look into a gun to make it more likely to head to FL for some spearing one of these years!)
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
08-28-2010, 11:51 PM,
to pass, id have to know if they are stolen or not.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
08-29-2010, 12:21 AM,
After talking to him a bit I'm certain they are not stolen.  I guess as certain as one can be without seeing the receipt.  To be honest, I talked to him for a while and I got the sense that he just liked the idea of giving them to me at a price I could afford.  I also go the sense that he did zero research on how much stuff should cost used.  He just assumes that since its used it not worth much.

I hope I'm right and this equipment is not stolen, but if I thought for a second it was, I wouldn't buy it.

I'm going to pick up some of the stuff tomorrow so I hope its all I hoped for!
08-29-2010, 04:42 PM,
Hee hee - Joe was just joking around - look at his username  ;D
08-29-2010, 08:57 PM,
Oh...haha.  I guess I didn't get it.  When he said that he did make me think, I suppose there are people out there who would steal stuff and sell it. Since I'm not one of those people I never think that other people can be.  I guess I always assume the best.

Anyways, I picked up some of the stuff today,  I got the aluminum tank and 47 lbs of soft weights, a pair of gloves, a hood, retractor thingy and a nice bc hanger.  I gave him 120 bucks and he is still planning on delivering me the steel tank, its just at his other house right now.  I should have that in a week are so.
08-30-2010, 09:36 AM,
Even if he "forgets" to deliver the steel, you got a steal.
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
08-30-2010, 09:48 AM,
I agree.  I'm certain he won't because there is more stuff he wants to sell me that I haven't paid for.  Plus, I know where he lives :o

I'm hoping to get a "steal" on his drysuit and regulator he has for sale.  We'll see if the pending sale he has falls through...I hope it does, and so far it seems like it.
08-30-2010, 04:01 PM,
Darn Hydro testing!  The one place in town that does it is up for a license review and the other won't do cylinders over 3000psi without sending them out of town, which is a real bummer because they only charge $16.  I could drive to Tri-State Diving.  He does his in house but he's only open 9-4 and I can't make it there during work or on Saturdays.  :'(

My two local dive shops use the one guy in town that is currently waiting for his license to be renewed, so I can't take them to the LDS either.  Its surprising how much the price varies.

Nardini: $16 plus shipping for tanks over 3000psi (which isn't that great of a deal I would imagine          because of the shipping)
Hintz Fire Equipment: $24 (Not bad but they don't have a license right now)
Local Dive shops: $32 to $38 (They cant do it because of the above reason)
Tri-State Diving : $13!!!! (He does it in house so I suppose its much cheaper for him, but I can't get there when he is open)

All I want to do is get my new tanks ready to dive Sad
08-30-2010, 04:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-30-2010, 05:01 PM by scubafreek864.)
Call Pete at Pro-Hydro Testing.  He is located in Chaska.  $30.00 for Hydro, Visual plus eddy current test and fill.

Contact info: 952-240-1263

He has a mobile unit, so I don't know where he's at right now.  Give him a call to find out when he could get them done for you.

I am very pleased with his turn around time, and bring all my tanks to him.