Remember me
Lost Password Register

Poll: Do you Use Nitrox?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No, never
12.12%
4 12.12%
No, I plan to in the near future.
18.18%
6 18.18%
Yes, only to EAN40
39.39%
13 39.39%
Yes, with higher O2%
0%
0 0%
Yes, Up to 100% O2
30.30%
10 30.30%
What is Nitrox
0%
0 0%
Total 33 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Poll on the use of Nitrox
03-26-2003, 09:07 AM,
Re:Poll on the use of Nitrox
GP,

you might be surprised by the common sense approach some dive shops have when it comes to filling tanks. Also, check out Harlow's "The oxygen hacker's companion" (or something like that ) to circumvent safely some of the stupid regulations imposed by the dive industry. Don't forget they're in it for the money: why do you think some diveshops charge $40 to O2 clean a tank and charge $15 for all the "necessary" O2 clean and nitrox stickers, while you can do all of that with a simple piece of ducttape?!
03-26-2003, 09:24 AM,
Yeah...no doubt man. The cleaning and the sticker prices are outrageous. I know many shops just use simple green cleaner and water to clean the tanks. Sounds like anyone could do that.
03-26-2003, 09:32 AM,
Yep, that's all diveshops usually do. When I first started tech diving that's what I did with my tanks and valves and manifold. Now I know better; whenever I buy new equipment I don't even bother anymore cleaning it. If it's used I might do it depending on condition and whom I got it from.
03-26-2003, 03:58 PM,
Simple Green is not what you use to O2 clean a tank, that would leave behind film that may leave undesirable odors in your tank. It is not air that causes your tank to become non-O2 clean such as exposing it to ambient air, it is the oil and carbon that can sometimes be expelled from a non-O2 approved compressor. Most shops such as Scuba Center will air fill an O2 clean tank with O2 compatible air for the same price as "regular air".
Also, the idea seems to be here that O2 is flammable. This is a misconception. Oxygen is not flammable in itself, oxygen supports combustion because it is an oxydizer. High concentrations of oxygen make almost everything burn faster and easier than in air.
If you take a nitrox class and the idea or reason behind O2 cleaning is not explained, then your class is not being taught correctly.
03-26-2003, 04:22 PM,
Maybe we should start a campaign to change the term from "O2 clean" to "High % O2 compatible" or "O2 Ready"!
03-26-2003, 04:39 PM,
Yeah it is. I just checked around. It's one of the most common products to use for cleaning tanks. It's an environmentally friendly biodegradeable cleaner. Some shops even use straight Formula 409 as well. Any cleaning agent is obviously thoroughly rinsed with freshwater and dried so there is no cleaner residue left.
03-26-2003, 04:45 PM,
I have heard of people that use simple green to O2 clean tanks. But simple green is not officially rated for that. You might use something more appropriate like Blue Gold.

--Jason
03-26-2003, 05:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-27-2003, 09:03 AM by Inspirationdiver.)
To be truly "clean", the cleaning would have to be done in a "clean" room, free from all dust or any form of contamination. The person working in the "clean" room would wear a dust free suit and gloves, boots, facemask, etc. Any contact to air outside that room would cause contamination This form of "clean" is usually only required in very delicate electronics work such as in assembling microprocessors.

In the scuba industry, oxygen clean has a very different meaning. All hydrocarbons must be removed from all surfaces. Simple Green actually works rather well at removing these oils and silicone based greases. You do have to be thorough in rinsing to remove any residue from the Simple Green. All of the o-rings must also be of a compatible material. Most regular air tanks will use silicone or buna based o-rings in the tank neck and valve. These are hydrocarbon based and are not compatible with oxygen mixtures over 40%. Fluorocarbon based o-rings such as Viton or EPDM are compatible and are usually used instead.
03-26-2003, 11:01 PM,
Oxygen clean, Is it a hype or not. I have to believe that someone didn't just one day say lets create the concept of O2 clean. This has to be based on past history of problems or test results.

The questions that have been raised about a sterile rooms, regular air and oxygen fires, seem out of place. From what I have read about oxygen clean, Inspirationdiver is right on. It isn't about eliminating oxygen from your tank it is about preventing fire hazards. Making the tank, seals, and 1st stage "safer" to use with High pressure higher% O2).

Technical, Air by definition is nitrox (EAN21 if you will)