Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Minnetonka ZEBRA MUSSEL RESEARCH Volunteer Dive...9/13/10 & 9/14/10
09-09-2010, 02:25 PM,
Re: Lake Minnetonka ZEBRA MUSCLE RESEARCH Volunteer Dive...9/13/10 & 9/14/10
I find this whole thing interesting to follow, especially after this year's tonka cleanup/scuba diver issues.

With that said, conservation and awareness is part of the sport, and I'd encourage you if you are available to do the dives as shallow as they may be in likely low vis conditions and plot the progress. I would concur with Steve that it would also be a good time for LMA and the DNR to teach boaters about dive flags and the laws that seem to be consistently broken and put many a diver at risk on the lake.
The only thing I take seriously when it comes to diving is safety.
09-09-2010, 05:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-09-2010, 05:36 PM by DetectorGuy.)

How long ago were these zebras first noticed in Minnetonka? 3 or 4 weeks? Just a hunch, but I'll bet a sandwich that these little buggers were noticed above 15' and the near sighted feds think that they only exist above 15' because that is where 3 or 4 divers spotted them. I would be surprised if they weren't all the way to the bottom already but not reported at that depth yet.
   Kind of like the first fur trappers in this area sending word back to France that there are GIANT 6' tall beavers in this "new land" because they found trees chewed off at 6' above the ground. After the first full season they realized that the snow gets 6' deep around here, and the little beavers were simply on top of the snow when they chewed those trees. The first discovery of anything seems to get inaccurate information for one reason or another.
This survey sounds like another squirrel chaser trying to get grant money for something that can not be controlled.
09-09-2010, 10:40 PM,
I am not able to make this dive. But I would sure like to Volunteer for future DNR dive missions. Both in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
09-09-2010, 10:51 PM,
Forgot to give my eMail addy  steepteam@gmail dot com
09-10-2010, 01:20 PM,
I Agree. most normal people need at-least a full week or longer to make plans. ...unless its a weekend party(or dive) then afew days warning is appropriate.

is there going to be a sponsored Shirt for this event?

also I think the Vis would be better towards the end of the week
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
09-10-2010, 01:32 PM,

yes this year i saw the bottom of a boat as it passed above me. that should never happen.
Last year i watched as a DNR officer passed real close to my wife while he was cruising over to a parked boat to issue a ticket for something he noticed. as he passed by my wife he slowed down almost stopping. In the officers defense I would say that she was somewhat difficult to notice as her dive flag dwarfed the large cruiser and it was wavy With Blistering Sun making it difficult to notice.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
09-10-2010, 05:35 PM,
Free air tanks and food. I'm in...nothing like diving for free and getting fed to do it! Wink
09-13-2010, 08:19 PM,
How many of you got out to help on this research dive today??  Anything interesting come from it?
09-13-2010, 09:08 PM,
found a little ink on the matter

&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
09-13-2010, 10:15 PM,
Wow!! what a great turnout for the Monday dive (over 30 divers).  Thanks to everybody that participated!

We are still going out again Tuesday so hope to see you there.  Just show up at 9:00 AM at Tonka Bay Marina ( 220 Tonka Bay Road Tonka Bay, MN 55331 )

We will have boats and air tanks ready