Remember me
Lost Password Register

Cancun Diving
09-14-2010, 01:34 PM,
Cancun Diving
Has anybody had any experience in diving in the Cancun area? I have been to Cozumel the past three years and we are changing locations. If so, what was the diving like? What dive operator did you use? Were there any special dive sites I need to see? Any help would be appreciated!!!
09-14-2010, 02:40 PM,
Re: Cancun Diving
I've done some diving in that area a couple times.  Bottom line is the ocean dives are not nearly as good as Coz. It might be worth a 2-dive trip just to say you've done it.  However, since you are on the mainland the best diving is at the cenotes.  Those should not be missed.  Personally I would skip the ocean dives and focus on the cenotes.  Have fun!
--Jason
09-14-2010, 02:46 PM,

I have to agree with Jason, there are some cool sites on the mainland in the ocean, especially the further south you go from Cancun, but in general its going to be tough to beat Cozy, the cenotes are the best (on the mainland) a little cooler in temp then the ocean, but just dandy vis. I'm a lousy typist so feel free to call me if you want more info.    952-201-3029      Terry
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
09-14-2010, 03:44 PM,
I used scuba cancun when I went last thanksgiving.  It wasn't bad.  It was my first mexico/carribean dive, so I thought it was pretty cool, even if not as good as Cozumel Smile  They were friendly and had a nice boat.  I did 4 dives with them and loved em all.
09-16-2010, 08:36 AM,
Thanks for the info! I think I'll a few ocean dives to see what its like, but it looks like I might have to try the cenotes as well. Everyone says its a great time so I'll have to see for myself!

Thanks again!!
Brian
09-16-2010, 09:55 AM,
How long of a bus ride is it from Cancun to the cenotes?
09-16-2010, 10:23 AM,
Most of the cenotes I've dove are south of Playa del Carmen, (the main ferry stop out to Cozy) so your upwards of 50 miles. The ticket is setting it up before you go, (thru dive shops and resorts) then you can meet up in Playa or they may even come get you up in Cancun and let them drive, I've rented a car and drove their interstate up and down the coast from Puerto Moleros (the other, mostly cargo, ferry stop to Cozy) down to Aukamal, and it was safer then, then it is today. Today there are check points due to the uncontrolled drug running, and its going to be handy to be fluent in Spanish at them. I liked someone else driving, knowing the language and the directions to the cenotes so I could just lean back and be the almost innocent bystanded that I was.    T
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
09-16-2010, 12:41 PM,

It depends which cenote you go to.  You should be able to find a dive shop that will provide transportation. The cost will be more expensive than your typical 2-tank dive.  But I guarantee you will never forget these dives. 
--Jason
09-16-2010, 01:46 PM,
I did a couple Cenote dives this spring between Tulum and Akumal at Dos Ojos and the viz was 300' (no lie) I will do that again for sure!
09-22-2010, 09:31 AM,
Thanks for all the advice!!! I have found a small american owned dive shop not far from my hotel, Manta Divers, who will pick me up and take me to the boat in Cancun as well as to the cenotes. This sounds like the convenience I'm looking for, so I'll be trying a couple ship wrecks, a couple reefs and the cenotes. I'll let you know how it was, I do not leave for 6 weeks but cant wait to get there!!!