Remember me
Lost Password Register

WILSON MONITORING PROJECT
09-22-2010, 07:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-22-2010, 07:53 AM by PJK.)
WILSON MONITORING PROJECT
This coming weekend September 24 and 25 the GLSPS is sponsoring another Project.  "The Wilson Monitoring Project".

Project tasks include:

1. Counting the Zebra Mussel infestation in strategic locations.
2. Measuring any possible movement of the wreck. 
3. Silt build up or movement.
4. Pick up more garbage around the shipwreck, which was reported to be a problem again this year.This is an annual process.  Last year we picked up allot of garbage.  Sounds like more has been deposited.

We will be documenting the differences noted from last years data. 

If you are interested in joining us on the project, and you are a member (or want to become a member) we have one or two spots left,  please let us know at, pkerber@glsps.org or any other board member.  Please check the GLSPS website at . for more details.  If you need more details on the project, I can send you more via email.

Safe travels and diving.
Phil Kerber
GLSPS President   
Safe Diving<br />PJK
09-22-2010, 09:35 AM,
Re: WILSON MONITORING PROJECT
Is there someplace that you guys publish the results/findings of your projects?

It looks like you have several interesting things going on, but I have never seen any results.

Thanks.
09-23-2010, 09:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-23-2010, 10:41 PM by PJK.)
Yes, we do eventually have the results.  However, they are not revealed right away for two reasons.  We have to compile all the information from several key people that were on the Project.  The initial plan, the objectives, dive profiles, leaders documentation from all the divers on the project, pictures, video, etc.  It's a major production.  Then put all that information together to produce an accurate report. 

Two, most of the results and report details from the Society's Annual Projects are published in our Fall Newsletter.  The Board of Director have decided that the Project reports for the year have to go out in the Newsletter first.  This gives a certain value to being a member of the GLSPS.  We also need the information for certain people in the Society to have new information to give presentations at different shows, schools, conferences, etc.  After a few months, it eventually is put up on the Website.

I agree that the Project leader should write up a few words on how the Project went but, most are not required to write their full report details until it is published in the Newsletter.  Not to mention that most of the core group of the GLSPS do not visit or are members of this forum.  A few minor details are always good and thank you for the suggestion.  Bob O, Steve S or I are mostly the ones that post on this forum.

I will try to push the Leaders of the Projects to write a small snippet about the Project on this forum.  If the people on this forum need to read more details, one will have to wait to get your Newsletter, if you are a member.

Thank you again for your great suggestions and comments!  This will only improve the GLSPS and it members.

Safe travels and diving,

Phil Kerber
GLSPS President

Safe Diving<br />PJK
09-27-2010, 09:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-27-2010, 09:23 PM by PJK.)
The Wilson Project was postponed last weekend.  The Project has been rescheduled for this coming weekend, October 2 & 3.  Some of us had schedule problems and others had a serious cold like I did.  That left only three divers to perform the needed underwater tasks for the project.  We called the Project 4 hours before we departed from the Twin Cities.  We decided that it was not enough divers to be safe or efficient. 

All that being said, the Wilson Project is on for this weekend!  We still have one or two openings for divers.  If you are interested, please contact Todd Olson ASAP at, frogmantodd@qwest.net or me at pkerber@glsps.org.   Hope to see some different faces.

Safe travels and diving.

Phil Kerber
GLSPS President

Safe Diving<br />PJK
10-09-2010, 10:21 AM,
There is a story going around that you guys were attacked by pirates in a red zodiac last weekend while on the Wilson. The story goes the GLSPS claims ownership of the Wilson and all waters around it. The red zodiac tried to anchor on the wreck to enjoy some good fall diving with rare visibility. However the Preservation crew became territorial and were screaming on their loudspeaker for the red zodiac to leave and that they wanted the entire Wilson wreck to themselves.vxcz

Comments please.

But internet voices only please, leave your bullhorns at home.Z
Advanced Trimix, Experimental Russian Rebreather/KISS, A&amp;P Aircraft Mechanic, Private Pilot, All around cool guy, Certified Arborist
10-09-2010, 09:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-09-2010, 10:01 PM by PJK.)
As everyone knows, there is always two sides of every story.  The GLSPS would like to have equal time to tell their side. 

Any Captain that is in charge of the GLSPS vessel during a Project, sticks to a very strict S.O.P. developed by the Safety Committee.  However the rules of the road and the law take presidence over any of our proprietory rules.  The law simply states, all boats need to stay 100 ft of surface distance from a Divers Down Flag.  The little Red Zodiac was getting well within the limits of 100 ft.  The captain of the R/V Preservation made several attempts to contact the Zodiac but no one answered.  We even tried to hail them using our load speaker on the boat to get the attention of the red Zodiac.  We could clearly see they had an annenna for the use of a VHF Radio transceiver but they must have had it turned off or it wasn't working because, they didn't answer after hailing them several times.

The four divers down at the time had bubbles within 10 ft of the Zodiac so we were getting a bit concerned for the dive team down and a potential safety hazard.  So the acting Captain of the R/V Preservation, (with five other witnesses top side on board the Preservation, including me) needed to make a call for safety reasons.

If the Zodiac would have hailed us or have contacted us in any way shape of form, we would have welcomed them to dive with us. Since they seemed to ignore us in every attempt to contact them and were unable to determine their intentions.  We had no choice to ask them to leave.

Proper boat etiquette or procedures would have certainly granted them a chance to dive the wreck that wonderful sunny and clear day.  They would have been more than welcome to join us!  Next time, hail us and we will give you what ever you need to dive the shipwreck because we certainly don't own the wreck!  We are only attempting to preserve it so many others can see it too.

Phil Kerber
GLSPS President
Safe Diving<br />PJK
10-10-2010, 12:14 PM,
The law simply states, all boats need to stay 100 ft of surface distance from a Divers Down Flag. 

Phil, my friend, I think you meant boats not involved in the diving operation must stay a minimum of, 150' away from the dive flag, as the divers are required to stay within 50' measured on the surface, leaving a minimum separation of 100' between divers and other boats, least according to MN law. Not that it matters as I have NEVER seen the DNR, Coast Guard,  or ANY water patrol ANYWHERE issue even so much as a verbal warning, to boaters breaking that law. After running a zodiac for more then 15 years on the Great Lakes, and the rivers of Northern Florida caving, nothing got my attention quicker then having a loaded spear gun pointed at one of my chambers. I agree on a wreck like the Wilson without even a single mooring bouy, proper diving etiquette, saftey procedures AND the law, would have required the red zodiac should have contacted the Preservation, before approaching any closer then 150',,,,, and I suspect they would have been invited to tie up off the back of the Preservation. Unless, of course, thet actually were pirates, in which case,,,,,do indeed, load that speargun.       TRINITY
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)
10-11-2010, 12:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-11-2010, 12:39 AM by usediver.)
  As a viewing member aboard the R/V Preservation that afternoon , I watched the inflatable boat crew of two, repeatedly motor approach the wilson area , drift around , motor again , while proceeding in hand lining something over and over ( fish line ,anchor , sounding weight ??? )  and at times, just sit back on the boat tubes,  over the wreck area we were diving.

Our divers were swimming the lenghts of the wreck, thus of course nearing the boat at times and the crew ignored any notification to us of their actions. 

AT NO TIME were they acting or moving or showing ANY scuba diving activities or gear !

At a later time,  they finally tried to reply to us w/their radio, their signal was too weak to understand anything they said.(still w/in 100 ft of us). 

After they offered no other response with their intentions ,  we again  requested they honor the wider space required for diving activities, and they finally then complied,  and soon left the area completely.
10-12-2010, 10:01 PM,
I think that someone should read minnesota statutes 86b.601 scuba diving.
10-13-2010, 05:01 AM,