Remember me
Lost Password Register

Logging and Steamboat History on the St. Croix River
10-02-2010, 08:28 AM,
Logging and Steamboat History on the St. Croix River
This is not really related to diving, but an interesting read if your into local history and possible river dive sites. I have been researching some areas to dive in out of the way places and stumbled onto this web page:

10-02-2010, 11:44 AM,
Re: Logging and Steamboat History on the St. Croix River
interesting.. if a person was to go and harvest the old logs from a river or lake.. who owns them?
Cold and dark down there huh?
10-03-2010, 07:46 PM,
From what I can tell the State owns everything that touches the bottom of the lakes and rivers (yes milfoil and Zebra Mussels would be included in this ownership but lets have the state pick which battles it wants to fight). There are special underwater log harvesting permits that can be applied for, and then after a certain amount of time... the permit will be issued or denied. The SHPO claims that the logs in question only applies to areas that were known to have been sawmills, boom areas or rafting routes. Either way, I am not interested in some smelly old chunk of wood or a pike pole from a raft runner. I just thought it would be neat to see some of this "not-so-popular" submerged history. Now we just need to wait until the river is less than raging.
10-03-2010, 08:06 PM,
Do you think that the river claw would not do to well. A little bit on the lite side hay what.