Remember me
Lost Password Register

Uganda Shipwreck Video
10-06-2010, 08:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-07-2010, 03:25 PM by jasondbaker.)
Uganda Shipwreck Video
Here is a link to a youtube post on a video I shot this August while diving with Shipwreck Explorers.  I shot this with a Canon EOS 7D that Steve from Aquaventure put together for me with an Aquatica housing and INON strobes.  I purchased the camera for stills, but found that it takes awesome HD video too.  On this dive I am using 20 watt video lights. 

The wreck of the Uganda is in the west part of the Straights of Mackinac. Jitka launched out of the new public marina in Mackinaw City and our group of OC and CCR divers headed out to dive the stern section. Upon arrival we could not find the stern jug, so we moored on the bow. The wreck lies in a river bed and the action of the Straights must have an affect on this wreck as I hear it has a ripping current. There was a moderate current flowing from bow to stern, so we swiftly made our way to the stern as I was interested in filming the engine room. The wreck sits in about 200 feet, and there is plenty of ambient light, and both times I have been on this wreck the vis was very good (once no current, once with moderate current). It is a neat shipwreck, very intact hull with bow and stern cabins blown off, however there is a unique center cabin which is very intact with windows, and interior features. The stern hit hard and popped some of the interior walls out of engine room, but an easy penetration.

Thanks to Jitka for editing the video, and posting it.

Ron

Silent Explorers
Start with training, continue with adventures.
10-06-2010, 10:04 PM,
Re: Uganda Shipwreck Video
very cool vid ron! wish i was with man. ;D
We take these risks, not to escape life but to prevent life from escaping us
10-07-2010, 03:34 PM,
Nice job Ron.  I bought the same system you did except I'm using nauticam's housing. I don't need to go deeper than 100M.  Are you shooting this with the tokina lens?  I've shot a little underwater HD video with the camera and I really think that video lights are necessary in anything but clear, shallow, sunny conditions. 
--Jason
10-07-2010, 07:08 PM,
Yes I got a Tokina lens, Steve had to hunt for one as there was a stop on production?  I'm not sure if they are still available, but Steve said they were the best...  The dome port I chose was a smaller plastic lens verse the glass because I tend to bump them occasionally on my stages, and figure its cheaper to replace more frequently.  I don't think there is much of a optical difference, not that I could see anyway, and I am very happy with the field of view. 

I'm looking forward to shooting some more video on the Milwaukee Car Ferry - penetrating into the boiler and engine rooms, as well as deep wrecks off of Milwaukee.  Lots of great stuff to see.

Good Diving

Ron   
Start with training, continue with adventures.