Remember me
Lost Password Register

DPV reviews
10-18-2010, 12:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2010, 12:42 PM by arcFlash.)
DPV reviews
Seeing we haven't had a new post in over a day...

The Tahoe Benchmark is a fun read to anyone dreaming of a scooter.

I'm mixed. I need to buy two (so I can buddy dive) but the cost of two is a little high. I can get one good one or two not so good (Mako). The problem with the Mako is burn time is too short. I can already do an hour or more and if I scooter I want at least that long. Anything less than an hour means I'll be towing it back or cutting dives short. Sure, I'll see more in 30 minutes on a scooter but I'll be in less and I'm all about the time as well. I want to scooter for 90 minutes.

I need to get one of my regular buddies to buy a scooter and even at that, I'll need to buddy with them to use mine. I'm not so happy about diving alone, it's kind of sad to not share the dive with someone.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
10-18-2010, 08:32 PM,
Re: DPV reviews

Hey Buddy!
                              I'm all about YOU buying two GOOD ONES, I just dont think they would of helped on Sat's recovery dives of the Sidewheeler, I think they would have made the recovery even more difficult. Do let me know when you want to test dive a pair though.          TRINITY
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
10-19-2010, 11:33 AM,
Get three good ones!!!  ;D

I did the El Cheapo route already and still have a dead hulk lying under my kitchen table that I need to try to get working again.  it was one of the $99 knock-offs and it worked a couple times when I snorkeled with it, then it crapped out.  found a new chip board for it but that didn't fix it, so it's just been sitting on my floor useless for a couple years now!  I'd like to try out one of the new Bladefish scooters (Aquaventure has at least one in stock) - they look pretty portable, but I have no idea how they compare to the beefier brands.  it's too bad they are ALL so spendy.  Thought about doing the DIY approach many years ago based on the old Popular Mechanics plans, but never got around to that either!
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
10-19-2010, 12:02 PM,
Tullibee, you are not the first one reporting unsatisfactory results from low end scooters. I know 3 people that didn't get value out of one common consumer brand DPV.

"old Popular Mechanics plans" Are they available on-line anyplace? I'd like to look at them just as a curiosity.
10-19-2010, 03:32 PM,
Steve
I will have to look but I think I have a set of those plans
Not online but real paper ;D
Bob
10-19-2010, 04:28 PM,
hey, steve, let me know what you are eyeing, i've thought about getting one for awhile as well.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
10-19-2010, 07:59 PM,
I'm a big fan of the Silent Submersion.  The UV-26 model, which is the mid size body with lead acid batteries.  It isn't the fastest or the lightest, but it sure is reliable (and the rechargeable batteries are reasonably cheap to replace every few year when they wear out).  I've used my SS UV-26 on about 600 dives.  It hasn't failed on me in the water yet.  I got it for cave diving (you can really cut your deco down if you quicken up the pace to get to and from your destination); but I also really enjoy it for mine pit diving.  In the larger pits, you certainly get to go to really nice places no one ever visits due to distance from good shore access.  Whereas I wouldn't carry the heavy beast down the hill to Feigh Mine; from the Huntington Mine boat access, the wall at Feigh is only about a 20 minute ride underwater, with lots of cool stuff to see in between.  - Kirk 
10-20-2010, 09:19 AM,
I was dissuaded from the uv-26 at 90 pounds but I'll revisit it.
10-20-2010, 10:12 AM,

Hey Kirk,
                            Gotta agree with Steve 90 pounds sounds pretty brutal, but it also sounds like yours has held up good, what did it set you back? If your doing any more drysuit gloves any time soon, I'll do a six pack of size 10, too. Thanks,    Terry
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
10-20-2010, 11:02 AM,
i was thinking one thing these guys didnt test was weed grinding ability...
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun