Remember me
Lost Password Register

playing with video
10-25-2010, 08:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-25-2010, 12:00 PM by lahrcm.)
playing with video
I've been having a blast playing with video lately.  Wanted to share a few I put together over the last couple weeks.  Enjoy.

high def, flip ultrahd

standard def

Anyone have suggestions for a good video light?
10-25-2010, 11:01 AM,
Re: playing with video
good videos. Big Grin
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
10-25-2010, 06:07 PM,
Nice underwater camera work, and topside editing, fun to watch, good job!
Start with training, continue with adventures.
10-26-2010, 07:44 AM,

Thanks, glad you like it.  I really enjoy the whole process, from the diving (of course), to picking out music and stitching it all together.
10-26-2010, 01:39 PM,
Nice. What's the cam?
Joe<br /><br />&quot;It is better to be doing than to wish you were doing&quot;-Me
10-26-2010, 02:05 PM,

A Flip Ultra HD (2nd gen) for the high definition ones and a Nikon Coolpix L22 for the standard definition ones.  All of them were shot with an Ikelite w-20 lens on the camera.
10-26-2010, 03:23 PM,
Great job on the videos!
I'm a Mog, Half man half dog - I'm my own best friend.<br />Alcohol doesn't make you fat... it makes you Lean... on tables, chairs &amp; random people.
10-27-2010, 02:07 PM,

I enjoyed your videos.  It's nice to see some local stuff like that.

For video lights, I would recommend two HID lights, 35 watt or 50 watt each, specifically designed for video (large, diffuse beam pattern).  I have tried several different brands of HID lights and in my experience, the most reliable lights have been from Salvo (now called Light Monkey). 

I currently use two Salvo 35 watt lights for video and with my camera, that's plenty of light even on dives where there is no ambient light at all.

Titan has just come out with 30 and 60 watt LED video lights.  I looked into them recently but concluded that they are too expensive and the color of the light is more blue-shifted than I would like to have.  The right HID light can give a nice white light that is great for video.  While I am not a huge fan of HID because of bulb fragility and the imperfect reliability of the high voltage electronics, I think they are still the best of the currently available technologies for video lighting.  I have not had problems with my Salvo HID lights (4 years of frequent use).
__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.
10-27-2010, 03:37 PM,

For video lights, I would recommend two HID lights, 35 watt or 50 watt each, specifically designed for video (large, diffuse beam pattern).  I have tried several different brands of HID lights and in my experience, the most reliable lights have been from Salvo (now called Light Monkey). 

I currently use two Salvo 35 watt lights for video and with my camera, that's plenty of light even on dives where there is no ambient light at all.

Titan has just come out with 30 and 60 watt LED video lights.  I looked into them recently but concluded that they are too expensive and the color of the light is more blue-shifted than I would like to have.  The right HID light can give a nice white light that is great for video.  While I am not a huge fan of HID because of bulb fragility and the imperfect reliability of the high voltage electronics, I think they are still the best of the currently available technologies for video lighting.  I have not had problems with my Salvo HID lights (4 years of frequent use).

[/quote]

Thank you for the info.  Yikes that's a lot of money for a light :o    It's hard to swallow when you only pay $75 for a camera. 

I have this idea in my head that it would be fun to put together a big catalog of videos showcasing as many local dive sites as possible.  Admittedly they'll mostly be of the Crosby stuff but I never dive without a camera so this 'catalog' will continue to grow. 
10-27-2010, 03:56 PM,
Yeah-I know.  Underwater camera and video equipment is frightfully expensive.  When I bought my camera system, I had to decide between buying a new car that I desparately needed or buying a video camera system that I desparately wanted.  I still drive the junky car, but I could take a really nice video of it now. Smile

You should put together that catalog of videos.  It's great for divers who want to see what to expect if they have never been at a site before.  It's also useful for people who don't dive, so they can see what it's like.  I hope you will do it.
__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.