Remember me
Lost Password Register

worm drive Ice chainsaw
10-25-2010, 09:03 PM,
worm drive Ice chainsaw
hey what do you think of this setup... looks interesting retrofitted worm drive for cutting beams....or cutting lakes?  Big Grin

video here

"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
10-25-2010, 09:14 PM,
Re: worm drive Ice chainsaw

I think you want a genset with a decent GFI or make sure your drysuit gloves are REAL good. It takes a fair push on the chainsaw blade to move it into the ice, something the teeth on the front of the motor housing work well for on that third cut, as your arms get tired, where you can actually pry with the blade. A worm drive has got some snort, it would be interesting to see in action.    TRINITY
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
10-25-2010, 09:19 PM,
would a wormdrive be able to handle the water?
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
10-25-2010, 10:48 PM,
Some day you guys will see how my Sthil ms390 with a 26 inch bar cuts!  I removed all the rackers an every other tooth!  Hot knife through butter!  Oh yeah I also ground the remaining teeth at 25 degrees!
TDI Advance Nitrox an Deco Trimix an Cave
10-26-2010, 10:19 AM,

Young Joe, the worm gears would be able to deal with fresh water, there most likely sealed in grease or gear lube, the windings and brushes (there right behind the black circle just in front of the main handle) of the electric motor will vote no, by letting the magic smoke out, that every tool maker puts in at the factory to let you know it's time, for a new tool.
                  The advantage you have with most heavy duty hand tool motors are they are universal, will operate on both AC or DC, as long as they dont have a variable speed switch, so if you had 10 cars out icing just hook a set of jumper cables positive to negative, car to car (series them all up) you wouldn't need the generator, just run to tool at 120 volts DC.
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
10-26-2010, 10:25 AM,

Sounds like she cuts dandy, curious what you using for bar lube, I'm getting all gummed up using vegetable oil, well, not me, personally, my saw, temped this season to go back to regular oil or go dry. Dont want my buddy Steve to blame me for those defective seams on his Viking letting go, and want me to give him my new one just because of the bogus chain lubricant I'd been using.    TRINITY
10-26-2010, 05:36 PM,
Quote: I'm getting all gummed up using vegetable oil, well, not me, personally.......

I can just hear it now.....hey ......is that chicken I smell........?  :o
&quot;Gentle determination is the true strength of a man&quot;<br />My Mom<br />1946 ~ 2001<br />Cancer is not a faceless disease
10-27-2010, 06:46 AM,
Water is the only lube!  Its a dedicated bar an chain!  I dont run it real tight either!
TDI Advance Nitrox an Deco Trimix an Cave