Remember me
Lost Password Register

TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
11-06-2010, 10:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-06-2010, 10:57 AM by plankton09.)
Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
I'm in w/ the DRBs--and to clarify, me (Pat) & Linda are the "Bastardettes".  Tongue
11-07-2010, 08:57 AM,
I need to propose a small change to the 'rules', Yesterday while on a dive I must have saw 5 cinder blocks with rope on them and one large rock with a bridle on it to be used as some sort of weight. I don't think we should count rocks and bricks into the Utah category. Bricks are just too common and may have been ice house legs and not anchors.

I propose that Utah's must be crafted or otherwise novel in design and poses obvious anchor characteristics. Like the horse stop should count, cement coffee can with steel ring should count. The spirit of a Utah design is that a craftsman "made" an anchor. Rock and brick do not fit craftsman spirit.

This is probably an area we'll need the judges to say whats in or not given the variety we are likely to find.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
11-07-2010, 09:06 AM,
As a judge
I agree with what Steve said about the anchors being "made" by someone.
Bob
11-07-2010, 09:17 AM,
                    Arcflash, aren't you the guy who complained there were "too many rules" already? Although I dont know how much of a, "craftsman" it takes to stick a worn out horseshoe in to a gallon paint can of wet cement, and call it an anchor, I suppose we need to draw the line in the muck somewhere.

But I have to agree, with Steve and Bob, (I'll modify the original rules) because we both know that Detectorguy and Shooter will try and count those, as legitimate scores, in that they used some complicated knot to tie the cylinder block to the rope. Now that there are more rules though we will need a few more judges, so if anyone feels they would know an "anchor" when they saw one, step up. Grumpie, you spent enough years as a craftman, I bet you could tell a real anchor from a fake.             TRINITY
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
11-07-2010, 10:26 AM,
Trinity, I practically invented "stirring the pot" so I appreciate the competitive Nudge's ;D. I am with you on the "Utah anchors" needing to have been made for the purpose of anchoring a boat or sea-plane. Cinder blocks and rocks with ropes should not apply but coffee cans with a metal ring should add to the tonnage. I know we are not going to use weight as a winning factor but I am optimistic on the numbers of ground tackle leaving its watery resting place this season.

Have you given anymore thought about having an entry fee to shore up (pun intended) the winners prize? Anything more substantial than anchors like a sunk boat, Car/truck, snowmobile, 4 wheeler, ...plane..., etc can be rolled into the "ICSD new shipwreck challenge".

John
11-07-2010, 10:50 AM,
Points should have to be deducted for members of a team who "intentionally place" such motor vehicles, boats or ice houses through the ice to find!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
11-08-2010, 08:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-08-2010, 09:24 AM by Shooter.)

??? ??? ???
Don't tell me one of the matching suit twin divers is looking for handicap's already!  Wink I suppose John and are are the team to beat( I would lump Art in as well, but he plays too well with others)  ;D We are the only ones so far to put are money where our mouths are!  ;D

Attached Files
.jpg   Taunting-Ahead-Traffic-Sign--32676.jpg (Size: 122.56 KB / Downloads: 134)
.jpg   stirrin the pot.jpg (Size: 31.04 KB / Downloads: 121)
.jpg   Taunting-Ahead-Traffic-Sign--32676.jpg (Size: 122.56 KB / Downloads: 131)
.jpg   stirrin the pot.jpg (Size: 31.04 KB / Downloads: 120)
11-08-2010, 09:57 AM,
                       Nate and John, you guys do make me smile. I'm real sure Steve and I can each lay a $10 spot on the table (but really only to pick them back up at the end of the season Wink), and don't you kid yourself now, we dont need any handicap. We were out Sat. on the Impulse scoping out a new "secret" lake for icing, (never before dove by either of us, so secret you can hardly find it, makes finding Pergatory look like finding Lake Calhoun) then Molly and I and Steve and Kristen we all went out to dinner Sat. night just to swish some super frosty ice cold beers in our mouths, to get use to the jolt of pulling your 2nd stage to inflate that lift bag, and to plan more stratagy. Were good to go! and John having Nate publish those baby pics of yours?  :-\ ,,,ok, maybe you can get credit for inventing, stirring the pot.

Question for everyone,,,,everybody ok with the $10 entry fee to be split up amongst the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners? Let me know,     TRINITY
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
11-08-2010, 10:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-08-2010, 10:44 AM by DetectorGuy.)

Or the money could be split two ways: Half for the most bottom time, and half for the most anchors. Titles might be in order for the winner(s) also:
Most bottom time = President of the Pond.
Most anchors = Governor of the Ground Tackle.
If the same person wins both = Ice King.

Just ideas...Not that Ive been thinking about it at all...
11-08-2010, 01:53 PM,
DRB is aname the guys gave themselves. Not rebreather stuff specially now, since  Pat just put hers up for sale :'( . Looking forward to meeting you also. I've been around since MN scuba was started by great bunch of people, who, I haven't seen in awhile, as we all branched off into separate scuba interests I'd guess. Linda
If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they are--Will Rogers