Remember me
Lost Password Register

TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
11-23-2010, 04:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-23-2010, 04:17 PM by arcFlash.)
Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
BS alert! Are you seriously trying to sell the idea that someone on Green Lake in 15 feet of water actually deployed a sentinel or kellet! I know them and I've used them (careful or the kellet will foul your danforth) but they are not common and not needed in Green Lake. That was a soup can. If size isn't a factor my shirt buttons look surprisingly like Utah mushroom anchors.

I think the soup can you mentioned is a tiny bit bigger than a soup can but still not an anchor. Its probably not even a "Utah anchor" but it could be part of an anchor system called an anchor sentinel. Here is a short blurb from wikipedia about anchor sentinels:

Using an anchor weight, kellet or sentinel
Lowering a concentrated, heavy weight down the anchor line – rope or chain – directly in front of the bow to the seabed, behaves like a heavy chain rode and lowers the angle of pull on the anchor.[12] If the weight is suspended off the seabed it acts as a spring or shock absorber to dampen the sudden actions that are normally transmitted to the anchor and can cause it to dislodge and drag. In light conditions, a kellet will reduce the swing of the vessel considerably. In heavier conditions these effects disappear as the rode becomes straightened and the weight ineffective. Known as a "anchor chum weight" or "angel" in the UK.

I realize that some of you may not see as many anchors as others this winter, so I thought I would add a link to the WIKI description of anchors so that you will know what you are looking for >Big Grin. We can discuss this in detail in the winners circle (I will be the guy in the center  Wink )

[/quote]
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.

Messages In This Thread
Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - by arcFlash - 11-23-2010, 04:15 PM