Remember me
Lost Password Register

TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
11-23-2010, 07:26 PM,
Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
I think this is a case by case. If it was a steel pipe full of Pb. then its an anchor. We should just get the answers from the Bench. Judges will rule when needed. This isn't in their jurisdiction.

That 'thing' we found last weekend, wink wink. Lets not shoot our own foot until we pull it and figure out why it has a rope.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
11-23-2010, 08:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-23-2010, 09:12 PM by DetectorGuy.)

Legend of the Green Lake Sentinel:
    It was a dark and stormy moonless night. The bite was on and the two fishermen in an old wooden 192 incher were not leaving until their boat was full to the gunnels with fish. The one legged Latvian in the bow yelled back to the captain in broken English "de ankors slippin, what we gonna do"? The captain on the tiller told him "scrape some of them barnacles off the side of the hull and grind them up with your peg leg and fill this 1/2 bottle of rum with the buggers. We'll make a sentinel for the anchor and then we won't run aground on the point". That was the last the two were ever seen and the anchor sentinel is all that was ever found from that stormy night... Blah, Blah, Blah.

The lake is 803 acres and 28' max depth. 919' above sea level. Iron content: soon to be non existent.
11-23-2010, 09:27 PM,
Although the last story was bogus... Here is a link to a story talking about Ted Williams fishing and spearing on Green Lake back in 1939.

11-23-2010, 10:07 PM,
[quote author=DetectorGuy link=topic=6602.msg38237#msg38237 date=1290569252]
Although the last story was bogus...

Sorry, not sure where to draw the line, see the next post,,,,,
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
11-23-2010, 10:19 PM,

192" = 16'

John my friend, I'm afraid I have to rest my case. If the foot of a wave travels down 7 times its height, (what ultimately causes all waves to "break" as they near shore), how big a wave could you get on a lake only 28' max? I'm just glad I was able to see the bays in Prior Lake starting to ice over today, ice anywhere from 20-80' out from shore.     
                I want to wish everyone a joyous and happy Thanksgiving. You have all made me smile.       TRINITY
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
11-24-2010, 08:22 AM,
Traditionally it takes a wave 1/3 the waterline length on the beam to capsize a boat but that Annapolis Guide to Seamanship does have a footnote for peg leg Latvians and barnacles as dense as lead so I can see some truth. T and I will need this liberty of truth to get credit for some of our finds.

11-24-2010, 09:10 AM,

John, none of the judges have yet actually weighed in on the exact count, of "actual" anchors from "the mother of all anchor dives". But trying to call that pop can with a hook in it, an anchor sentinel, all I can say to that is, glad I still have my work boots on.  Steve, do you remember what was the maximum depth of Green Lake? Perhaps they were trying to hold back a 45' Sea Ray in a storm on Green Lake and all they had to add for a sentinel was that Cambell Soup container and a cup and a half of "quick set".      TRINITY
[/quote]

I am comfortable that the record set on Feb 6th 2010 with 18 anchors from one hole by four Select divers will not be broken anytime soon.  8) Here is a link to "The Mother of All Anchor Dives":

[/quote]
[/quote]

Steve, are you out of the competition again and now you're judge?  :Smile what is the point of having judges when you tell them how to rule? I am still waiting for them to rule on your pre-dive/seeding expeditions. Are you tying them all together so you can bring them up with one lift bag?  ;D And why would we have the judges rule on the Green Lake dive? That wasn't even part of the competition. It just happens to be the current record.  :o It wasn't a dive that we pre-dove to find the best location and then came back and picked everything up later! :Smile we picked the location from the surface, in the winter, and determined the best spot to dive from depth ratings and current fishing hot spots. Location, location, location. And unlike most of your dives we even have the pictures to prove it!  >Big Grin remember without pictures it's only a fish story  ;D 

and out of the 10,000 lakes in Minnesota, why would you choose Green Lake?  >Big Grin I know we dive it because it's in the Isanti County and we want to be familiar with all of the bodies of water in our county.  Wink

are we going to need a group hug again? (((((((((((((((( group))))))))))))))
11-24-2010, 04:52 PM,
I'm in for know. I have until the first of the year to declare.  Smile

John and I are just bending words for entertainment.

T and I don't take pictures until game day.
11-25-2010, 12:44 PM,

Your not kidding about bending words Steve, "I'm in for know" bent all the way over from, "now"  Wink The larger ponds here in Eagan have all froze over, and with the weather getting into the single digits at night right now, they'll get thick and strong. I'll try to let everyone know approx. thicknesses over the next couple weeks, least of local lakes anyway. I worked near Prior Lake yesterday and the smaller bays on it are close to froze over. Open water days are REAL limited now. Off to enjoy family and some turkey. Everyone, enjoy the day!

Heres a pic of Steve and I, giving thanks on the back of the Impulse, or maybe it was celebrating the vis. on that last dive, or maybe after searching the entire lake, bumming that we couldn't add to our wreck find count, you decide.
                                                                  TRINITY

Attached Files
.jpg_thumb   steveterry[1].JPG_thumb (Size: 37.15 KB / Downloads: 4)
.jpg   steveterry[1].JPG (Size: 277.04 KB / Downloads: 128)
11-25-2010, 08:25 PM,
WOW!  If that is suppose to be a pic of this fall, then that means your old drysuit has been brought back from the dead.  LOL  ;D