Remember me
Lost Password Register

TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
01-09-2011, 05:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2011, 07:56 AM by DetectorGuy.)
Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
Nate and I went hunting for the elusive Green Lake anchor today. The temp was 15 below zero when we hit the lake at 7:00 AM. The ice was kinda thin at about 18" total, but only about 9" of good ice. We evolved to driving out again. Nate had his pony bottle on the seat of his big diesel, just in case. That almost makes the sport too easy when we can just drive out, cut the hole, and jump in. Easy as falling off a log. The anchors were not herded up today but hiding far away from each other. The ice groaned more today than in all my ice dives combined. At one point I was in a shallow area with about 3' of water between the bottom of the ice sheet and the gravel. When the ice would crack it would transfer the thud into my fins which were touching the ice sheet most of the day. This really didn't make me concerned until I heard a vehicle and then seconds later I saw two shadows drive directly over me. While this was happening I pondered the direction I would take if one of them came down to see me. I quickly decided that it wouldn't matter, and it wouldn't hurt long. I continued to look for anchors and after finding the fourth one I decided that was enough for today.

Here are the anchor counts from today along with the other goodies we found:
Nate: 2 anchors, a landing net, a folding pontoon ladder, and an 8" C-clamp.
John: 4 anchors, and a pair of sunglasses.

Here are some of the photos from today. The first one is of Nate getting ready. The second one is our set-up with an eagle sitting in a tree to the right of the 12' high dive flag. The third one is of Nate and Neo behind the booty pile. Nate is wearing the sunglasses I found. The fourth is me behind the loot.

Attached Files
.jpg   Nate getting ready to dive on 1-9-11.JPG (Size: 880.89 KB / Downloads: 128)
.jpg   Eagle on tree in background.JPG (Size: 986.37 KB / Downloads: 142)
.jpg   Nate and the loot on 1-9-11.JPG (Size: 960.79 KB / Downloads: 160)
.jpg   Me and the loot on 1-9-11.JPG (Size: 966.4 KB / Downloads: 161)
.jpg_thumb   Nate and the loot on 1-9-11.JPG_thumb (Size: 39.18 KB / Downloads: 1)
.jpg   Me and the loot on 1-9-11.JPG (Size: 966.4 KB / Downloads: 160)

Messages In This Thread
Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - by DetectorGuy - 01-09-2011, 05:29 PM