Remember me
Lost Password Register

TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
02-14-2011, 09:25 AM,
Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
Nice job again team Gilligan! That is the type of motivation that we were looking for. You even have the judges cheering for you  :Smile

Dive Report

I was accompanied by that same uneasy feeling I had when I was diving in the Florida Keys just before the taxman showed up. We were already there and has been talking about diving this location for a couple of years. After we cut the hole and saw the dark water, we knew it was going to be even more challenging. I turned the HID light on and dropped in and was met with about 18 inches of visibility in front of the light, and blackness everywhere else. As I approached the bottom my light lit up what I thought was a stick. It turns out it was a jagged piece of rebar less than 1 foot away.  :o . That uneasy feeling was now a lot more pronounced. I surveyed my surroundings 360°. Two more pieces of rebar and a large concrete slab at what appeared to be a precarious angle. With a short risk versus benefit analysis,  I decided to call the dive. Had it been an actual victim recovery dive, I would've proceeded on with extreme caution. I returned to the surface after a one minute dive and told the other divers that I was going to sit this one out. John was second in rotation and I assured him that as safety diver if he had the issues that would come to his rescue. Just go slow with extreme caution. This is the second time in my diving career that I have called a dive.
I am very competitive. When I look back over my diving career, and survey the dangerous situations that I put myself in, it is usually that competitive nature that put me there. China fever, grouper fever, and yes even anchor fever. This is a great competition that I have enjoyed participating in and will continue to enjoy win or lose  8). This can be a dangerous sport. Let's remember our training and put the safety factor at the top of our list.

Messages In This Thread
Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - by Shooter - 02-14-2011, 09:25 AM