Remember me
Lost Password Register

TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
03-17-2011, 07:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-17-2011, 07:10 PM by DetectorGuy.)
Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
The G-men are efficient in a blitzkrieg kinda way. I like it when people think out side the box. There are things to be learned from others experiences. Some things that work for some, may not be someone else's cup of tea. I like the way you guys have a rhythm to cycling in the divers. Very fluid (pun intended). I also like the way the G-men cut so many holes in a day - More time on top of the ice means less time under it, and that throws the advantage to the competition >Big Grin. We use a 4'x4'x4' triangle hole, and very seldom do we dive out of more than one per day. I noticed the holes you guys cut are considerably smaller (and some are rectangular ???) Have you ever had two divers down at the same time with such a spindly sized hole? I would think this would induce some pucker factor if there were two challenged divers at the same time. Everyone you dive with must be using a slung stage for a bailout bottle, as my 20 CF pony is attached right to my main tank and would not fit in or out of that small a hole [read square peg in a triangle hole]. Now that the ice is getting too thin to drive out on the ice with a truck (or van in some cases), are you guys back to attaching the ropes to the ice with screws instead of the bumper? Pushing the ice block under will definitely eliminate a back strain that could mess a guy up for quite a while. Does the last diver of that hole swim a loop around the block to "lasso" it? I would be nervous about that but that's just me. With out a shelter do you have worries about blowing a frozen zipper? Or are those Vikings (and I think Joes is a Whites but I am not sure what Robert has) more durable than the DUI that I am familiar with. I noticed in one of the pics there was a small propane torch for thawing zippers :o. Do you guys bring warm water with you or do you heat water on the ice?

These questions are not slams of any sort (well maybe one or two are, but hey...) I am just trying to figure out how team G does business so successfully. Thanks Steve for divulging the locations of the lakes you have been in. Except for Minnetonka, I haven't been in any of them yet. We might be missing out by spending most of our time in Green and not expanding our horizons. Its such a turbid lake in the summer that the mysteries that it could hold can only be viewed in the winter. Our [glow=red,2,300]Master Dive Plan[/glow] was only based on 3 bodies of water: Green, Spectacle, and Forest Lake. Now we never even got into Spec this Ice season as the viz is so good there in the summer and it has tons of diving pressure for that reason, we dismissed it from the list. We did try Knife Lake once (even though it wasn't on the list) and it turned out to be a dud. We dove Forest Lake a few times and it turned out to be kinda profitable  ;D. So win, lose or draw, We will take our chances and finish our season on Green Lake (whether it is this weekend or weather permitting next weekend). Let me know when you want the dive logs and I will scan them into a PDF and attach them in this thread for the world to see.
John

Messages In This Thread
Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - by DetectorGuy - 03-17-2011, 07:04 PM