Remember me
Lost Password Register

TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
03-18-2011, 11:08 AM,
Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge
Terry and John covered most but I'll confirm and add as well. John is correct, it's kind of like the golden rule about ending dives for any reason. Someone says, Make the hole bigger. It gets bigger, no big deal. You want a buddy, you get a buddy. We do solo for anchors because the pull outs are safer and faster for one diver. I don't jump Tonka wrecks or any hazardous site solo. Other may but I don't, summer or winter. I have no problem on an ice dive solo. If the vis is poor, I stay close to the hole, say 25 feet and I search really well. I get spooked being 100+ with vis below 20. I work my way out as I feel or end the dive. I've had a few 5 minutes dives this year.

Small holes are fine. I've buddy via a tiny hole, it's not as you would think. One dips under and the second follows. I know for a fact, if you want out, it's not difficult to make it clear your coming out. I can get myself out of the hole without help in seconds. I can't do that on large holes. I know Terry and Joe can do the same. It's easy for us but then we are naturally gymnastic with our wire frames.

Lastly, I've been in the hole to recover the block and it's went in and up. It's not scary at all. It went down once and it's going to go down again. Any of my buddies would push it back down for me even if it meant a wet leg or two. I am still roped up and I have my gear. I'd say I would easily have 20 minutes of air. Getting under the block happen on a dive shop ice, not one of ours. It was a few years back and it lasted less than 30 seconds.

We've also had the block slide back to the hole but the tenders always have drysuits on so you just put a foot on and push the block off the other way. It's very easy and even if it did come in the hole, you just call someone and step onto the block and down it goes.

Lastly, seeing how we do it every weekend you just get good at things. Like, I rig Terrys gear if he's in first but cutting the hole. Saves him the effort. Everyone just knows what's happening and does what's needed.

Hot water in a cooler is the best. We heat it at the first hole because you only need after the first dives. It stays hot all day. You also don't need 20 gallons! 1 stock pot is plenty, boil and then cut with cold to temp.

I always have ice screws if we need them. When the ice was too thin for screws. I augured two holes about 5 feet apart and fished the line through to tie an "American Triangle". I did this about 20 feet from the cut hole and the ice was maybe 5.5 inches. I was worried the heat transfer though the ice screws would melt them out. I've seen a lot of rot around ice screw late in the year to the point I could pull them out with a running pull. The last method if you pull the ice out is to tie the block. It freezes to the ice as well.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.

Messages In This Thread
Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - by arcFlash - 03-18-2011, 11:08 AM