Remember me
Lost Password Register

New drysuit
03-25-2003, 03:56 PM,
New drysuit
My new drysuit arrived today! I bought an Andys DS3 extreme suit through a local shop. It took about a month to build and ship from the factory. My first impression is that it is a well made suit. The material is their mid-weight, ballistics grade nylon, and the interior is a soft nylon. It is heavier than say a tls suit, but not quite as heavy as a cordura.

The latex seals are the thicker, heavy duty kind. The zipper placement is unique. It runs across the upper front torso. The idea is that this puts less stress on the zipper. It was easy to close except for the last inch or two. That may take some practice.

At first I thought the length of the suit was way too long. There is excess length in the legs and torso. But if I squat down and hold a ball position there is no excess material. So the length might be okay. The extra length in the torso helped me don the suit easier. I think I'm just not used to the excess material in a dry suit.

The attached boots are think, stiff rubber boots. With a pair of polarfleece socks they will fit perfect. I also bought the DC neoprene dry gloves. These are sweet. Now I have to figure out how to mount them.

My next project is to attach two bellows pockets to the suit. I ordered some E6000 glue to attach the pockets. A p-valve may be in my future but I'll probably try without for a while.

I can't wait to try this suit out. Any experienced dry suit divers out there interested in a mentor opportunity? Wink

--Jason
03-26-2003, 07:49 AM,
Congratulations!
That's awesome Jason! I'm jealous... but happy for ya.
03-26-2003, 08:08 AM,
Re:New drysuit
Anytime, any day Jason. Just drop me a note once the lakes are diveable.
03-26-2003, 08:20 AM,
Good choice! I have Andy’s DS1 that I just love. ;D I received mine when I had just started diving and after seeing other dry suits I am still satisfied I got a good deal.

I have yet to have a problem with the seals. They seem to be a lot more durable then the thinner seals I have seen out there. Keep them lubed with lots of silicone – I have been using the spray stuff from a dive shop.

The only issue I have had is the big boots. I have to have the right foot gear on to get them to fit: not too tight/not too loose. (I discovered one foot is bigger then the other!) Or else my fins feel like they will fall off.

Make an effort to get your weighting right and you should have no problem like was discussed here earlier.

03-26-2003, 09:03 AM,
Check out DC's web page they have instructions on how to put the gloves on. One of our instructors has the gloves if you have problems let me know and I'll put you intouch with him for some advice on putting them on