Remember me
Lost Password Register

Where do you use your rebreather?
07-25-2003, 12:51 PM,
Re:Where do you use your rebreather?
Mark,

I can get you a copy of the sheet, there is one in the Inspiration manual, as well as a letter from the manufacturer.

I had some problems earlier this year flying with cylinders. Dialog with the TSA confirmed that I should not have had problems. Wondering what people have experienced in the last couple of months?
07-25-2003, 12:53 PM,
By the way, the guidelines allow you to ship SCUBA cylinders as long as they contain less than 40 psi.

Obviously the easiest way to prove that is to take the valve off.

Some airlines have specific policies banning cylinders (Northwest for example).
04-16-2004, 09:45 AM,
To start up an old thread . . .

Just returned from Chuuk Lagoon where I dove an Inspiration CCR. I've also flown to Florida with a Dolphin SCR.

The biggest pain in the buttocks is the MPLS airport. It's like they've never seen a cylinder before - Security: "You cannot transport this cylinder, it has compressed gas in it . . ." Mark: "But Sir/Madam, the cylinder valve has been removed . . ." Security: "Duh?" Mark: "OK, it has 1 ATA of air in it . . ." Security: "Need to call in Boss . . . " We did have interesting conversations but in the end all of our cylinders made it. :Smile

Now in Chuuk . . . "Hum, 1 gallon plastic bags of white chemical, two white cylinders in a plastic-yellow shell connected to a series of hoses & wires, electronics . . . OK, thank you . . ." :o

In Chuuk we where able to obtain O2 (or approximately 92% EAN) and even Helium - but bring your own analyzer and be familiar with gas blending . . . luckily we had a veteran blender along! Didn't have a problem in Florida getting O2 but it did take some research to find locations.

The real PITA was scrubber weight - I needed enough for two weeks of intense diving . . . although I did have plenty of room for gifts on the way back! I shipped 35 lbs. of scubber to Chuuk but to my knowledge they never received it . . . got held up in customs I think. Oh well, I did bring enough in case it didn't get through.

I have to say, I will travel with my rebreather whenever I can, it was not much of a hassel (I've spent more time being pulled aside for 1st & 2nd stage carry-on) and well worth it. Long, deep dives, perfect for wreck diving. 8)

Oh yes, there was one draw-back . . . the OC divers on the boat had to sit and wait for us to finish our dives . . . I guess about 20 - 30 minutes on average, and that's because we were being considerate . . . ;D
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
04-16-2004, 10:04 AM,
Mark,

Thanks for the trip report, too bad about MSP. Unfortunately many of those low end functionaries can not think for themselves. I have flown with various RB's to Cayman, Cozumel, and British Columbia with some minor inconveniences, but never a major hassle.

As for my recent RB action, I went up to Wazee yesterday to check it out. Despite some rain early on the weather cleared and we were able to make an enjoyable dive. Visibility was a modest 10ft, much less in the shallows and a little better farther down the wall. Of course had the sun been out viz would have been improved. Water temp was 41 at depth and 43 surface, a little warmer than I expected. 8)

I was using the Dolphin, my dive buddy was on OC. After a 40 min dive his gas time and tolerance for the cold were both getting low, and he opted not to make a second dive. Had conditions been better I probably would have dove again, but a slight equipment abnormality convinced me to rethink it. :-\

Chuck Northrup
Going Under Dive Center
Don't believe the hype!
04-16-2004, 10:30 AM,
I hope this last experience is atypical, and I think it was (I've never had any problems before), there where a ton of folks and we must have overwhelmed their defenses! Five rebreathers with full complement of gear!

I'm jealous . . . I've been wanting to get to Wazee since I've returned! Need to rinse my gear! After two weeks of diving I'm finding hard to stay dry (so I'm installing a 20' bathtub between my second story & basement).

Unfortunately I'm limited to diving on weekends and after work weekdays, but let me know if you plan any dives for those times!

Water temp. of 41 - 43, hmmm, our Palauan dive guide said his coldest dive was in 78 degree water! Come to think of it, he said he'd never seen snow . . . and I suggested that he keep it that way . . .
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy