Remember me
Lost Password Register

Routing of gauges/computers
08-20-2003, 12:04 PM,
Re:Routing of gauges/computers
Yeah...no doubt on that. It does make sense if the batteries get smaller to eliminate the two piece w/cord design and go with a one piece light head canister mounted on a goodman or something. DanL already built a new version of his 50W NiMH Halogen light as a one piece canister/light head that straps to your arm. I haven't seen it yet though.
08-20-2003, 01:37 PM,

Now if they could just start doing the same thing with scooter batteries I'd be set. Wink

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
04-16-2004, 09:52 AM,

I've recently seen several Inspiration divers that have attached their dive computer(s) to their Inspiration electronic console(s). Is this typical practice? Pros? Cons?
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
04-16-2004, 12:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-16-2004, 01:00 PM by Inspirationdiver.)
I replaced the diluent gauge on my Inspiration with my Cobra. I just leave it in gauge mode and it functions as a redundant DG/BT for me. Then I took the diluent gauge and mounted it on my stage reg. Works great.
04-16-2004, 01:19 PM,
I have tried a couple of dives (as you are aware) where I attached my VR3 to the left console (which I run as the master) and my Vyper to the right (which functions as a bottom timer).

Advantages:
1. Less stuff on wrists makes it easier to gear up.
2. When you check your PO2 you also check your gauges, when you check your gauges you also check your PO2.
3. For someone who could loose just about anything in short order, it makes it harder for me to misplace my computers.

Disadvantages
1. Kind of a pain during ascent to hold it up when watching depth, stop time, and ascent rate.
2. Makes the consoles even larger.
3. Makes it harder to activate the buttons on the consoles (which you don't typically have to use much anyway, but when you do it's a pain).

I'll probably try it a couple more times and see how/if I get used to it.

Zach, any thoughts on replacing the O2 gauge with the Cobra instead of the diluent and have it calculate a "remaining air time"?
04-16-2004, 03:11 PM,
I guess I was a little worried about the compatibility of the Cobra with oxygen. There isn't any "flow" so to speak through the gauge during the dive to create compression, but there is the initial pressurizing when the gas is turned on. My gut feeling tells me that it would be bad news.