Remember me
Lost Password Register

Heads up for MN an WI cave divers!!!!!!
12-09-2010, 09:53 AM,
Heads up for MN an WI cave divers!!!!!!
FYI: Cave diving as we know it in Wisconsin is currently outlawed by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. Under emergency legislation passed Dec. 8, 2010 by the Natural Resources Board to protect bats- cave diving would only be allowed by special permit, and with decontaminated gear (certified by the DNR) that is ONLY used in Wisconsin. The permission for use of gear that has been in other states is unlikely and the measure is cost prohibative to most cave divers.

Jeff Berry
TDI Advance Nitrox an Deco Trimix an Cave
12-09-2010, 12:07 PM,
Re: Heads up for MN an WI cave divers!!!!!!
finally all those bat killing guano divers will be stopped!
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
12-09-2010, 12:16 PM,
Really it is not funny!  We have a good spot for cave traing here!  Under the current rules You would need a dedicated set of gear that stays in teh state waters!  I have done traing with some of you from as far North as the 2harbor duluth area!  I know John J an John S come down an dive thease places too!  They did it here an will do it in your state if it isnt watched out for!
Jeff
12-09-2010, 02:37 PM,
kidding aside, is there anyplace in MN that would qualify for a caving ban where bats would be interrupted?
-John Calhoun
12-09-2010, 03:28 PM,
I don't think this has anything to do with science. I've been following the White Nose problem for a long time and it's really, really sad. These little guys are dieing by the 10s of thousands and we are helpless to stop the spread.

They don't want people contaminating the caves but in reality bat migration patterns means they mix and that's the major problem.

This law is another way frighten people make dumb laws in the face of facts. That way, they can say they did something and get reelected.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
12-09-2010, 04:05 PM,
well there is no I.Q. test to get elected or to write laws......
yeah, the lung fungus is a problem, in reality, crawling around bat feces poses a greater risk to humans than bats that might come in contact with visitors.

plus bats don't stay out of towns or away from other bats, so it's just another worthless, poorly thought out, mostly unenforceable law.  :Smile
-John Calhoun
12-10-2010, 12:35 AM,

Yes check with the MN cave group!  They are intertwined with the WI group! 
02-20-2011, 04:17 PM,
Anyone know anything about diving in the flooded mines in Northern Mn?  I'm relatively new to diving, 8 open water dives, have a strong interest in this as it's close to home is there anything you know about this that I should look into first?
&quot;Speak softly and carry a BIG stick&quot;<br />Teddy Roosevelt
02-20-2011, 04:28 PM,

theres a ton of open pit mines up near crosby, great place to dive, better than wazee IMO

there are a few overhead environments there that are very unstable, so just be aware of your surroundings if you are new to the mines... most of them are pretty deep though... for the most part you wont come across them,

theres a campground if you want to spend more than a day there, and a good truck is recommended... as most of the access roads are all dirt mining roads with many ruts... if you take a car go when its dry in the summer... otherwise make a few friends and grab a ride there
-John Calhoun
02-20-2011, 04:30 PM,
Quote:theres a ton of open pit mines up near crosby, great place to dive, better than wazee IMO

there are a few overhead environments there that are very unstable, so just be aware of your surroundings if you are new to the mines... most of them are pretty deep though... for the most part you wont come across them,

theres a campground if you want to spend more than a day there, and a good truck is recommended... as most of the access roads are all dirt mining roads with many ruts... if you take a car go when its dry in the summer... otherwise make a few friends and grab a ride there

Not familiar w/ Wazee what do you mean by this?
&quot;Speak softly and carry a BIG stick&quot;<br />Teddy Roosevelt