Remember me
Lost Password Register

N. Florida Tech Dive
12-14-2010, 02:48 PM,
N. Florida Tech Dive
Just returned from Florida teaching Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures at Orange Grove and Blue Grotto, which are two of my favorite water filled holes in North Fl.  The week started out as a bit of a shock with 28 degree overnight temps, but as the week progressed the temps came up.  It was fairly quiet around the local hangouts, and nice to have both OG and BG to ourselves, so visibility was excellent.

I then headed to Forty Fathoms Grotto to do an Open Circuit trimix course and was pleasantly surprised to see all the changes at Hals property.  The Watts have leased the property to Commercial Diving Academy, and have really cleaned the property and Grotto, to almost unrecognizable past.  When I was there about 4-5 years ago, it was a challenge to see 5 feet in front of me, and this time we had 25 at minimum!  The property has had several nice changes, including a raft of floating docks in the Grotto as well as nice stairs leading up / down the banks.  There is an airfill station that filled all of our gasses promptly.  The commercial dive school is a hustle bustle place and had ten divers in the water, with tenders and instructors topside.  These young kids were running non-stop, reminding me of my commercial training days with retired navy instructors barking orders…

For a break in the action I spent the evening with shipwreck hunter and Great Lakes legend Gene Turner and his wife Milly.  We had a nice dinner, and afterwards spent the evening talking about finding wrecks and treasure.  If you have not heard of Gene, he was a commercial diver, wreck hunter, jack of all trades…who ran with Dick Race, and John Steele (3 Musketeers). Gene was responsible for finding over 14 wrecks.  When Gene retired from Great Lakes diving, he took up Florida treasure hunting and has some impressive pieces including a solid silver engraved sword handle (hilt/pommel) as well as an engraved gold coin for the king of Spain! Both items have been displayed at Fischer museum and considered only two know to exist.  For breakfast, Milly warmed up some of her recent batch of zucchini bread, wow!

Now its back to reality, at least for a couple weeks until I return for a stint of ccr cave diving.  If your bored with shoveling snow and want to get some tech diving in, check out the opportunities that are available in N. Florida. ;-)

Attached Files
.jpg   Forty Flushes.jpg (Size: 162.66 KB / Downloads: 112)
.jpg   Gene Turner.jpg (Size: 96.68 KB / Downloads: 95)
.jpg_thumb   Forty Flushes.jpg_thumb (Size: 43.45 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Gene Turner.jpg (Size: 96.68 KB / Downloads: 95)
Start with training, continue with adventures.
12-15-2010, 08:29 AM,
Re: N. Florida Tech Dive
If your bored with shoveling snow and want to get some tech diving in, check out the opportunities that are available in N. Florida. ;-)

Ok Ron when we going??????????????????????????
TDI Advance Nitrox an Deco Trimix an Cave
12-16-2010, 01:20 PM,
Re: N. Florida Tech Dive

Just after the holidays, then end of January, then once more after Mexico ccr cave trip.  But first get rid of the leaky bubble machine  Tongue
Start with training, continue with adventures.