Remember me
Lost Password Register

sorry guys, been spending way too much time at cruisersforum
12-29-2010, 09:13 AM,
sorry guys, been spending way too much time at cruisersforum
I've got the "I want to live on a boat" bug something terrible and have been studying about sail boats for a year.  I'd say I'm going crazy but I already am so there's no "going" as far as that is concerned.

I don't have a clue about sailing other than the folks had a little 14' sail boat with a main and jib that I spent most of the time either riding on the edge or completely upside down in.. I mostly only took it out when it was recommended that you don't, but that was only because that's when you could finally attain some speed and a bit of adrenaline.

I think I've slowed down a bit now in my old age, well kind of old (55 in a few months), so I'm not so concerned about riding the edge or going fast, but dang, man, I really want to buy a boat that my wife and I can spend the winters on, outta north dakota.

She's entertaining the thought with me and we've been drooling over catamarans together.  Our differences are that I say 6 months out of the year and she says only 2.. so maybe we're single for 4? I don't know.  I guess another difference is that I'd be happy with a row boat and a canvas over top, and she won't be happy unless it's a bit more livable.  I can see it all now,.. "hun, you dive down there and get some lobster or something, I'll clean it and cook", as a daily routine.  (I've told my wife that I'll do the cooking).

So, any sv captains out there that can share their experiences ideas with me, ahhh  us?  Anybody ever done any chartering?

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
12-29-2010, 12:40 PM,
Re: sorry guys, been spending way too much time at cruisersforum
Not boat related but we own a small RV Trailer and have been talking going big and retiring in an RV motor home! So, I can feel your pain in the matter as they are identical problems. Good luck with the negotiations ;D
I'm a Mog, Half man half dog - I'm my own best friend.<br />Alcohol doesn't make you fat... it makes you Lean... on tables, chairs &amp; random people.
12-29-2010, 04:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-29-2010, 06:56 PM by DiverQueen.)
The Minneapolis Boat Show is coming to the (Got to go look at the other e-mail so I can find the dates and location...)

Minneapolis Convention Center, January 20-23, 2011.  Admission is $10 per person.  You can go online to to look at some of the boats for sale at the different booths.  Some dealers have photos of other used boats for sale too!

I have a Nephew who's a Ship Captain, but it's a little bigger than your usual Charter boat!!!  ;D
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
12-29-2010, 05:18 PM,
Fred

I do not have any experience to help with your question.  However, one thing that may be a good research method is to rent a "live on board/houseboat etc." and see how you like it. By doing so, you may run into "regulars" of that life and they can give some good insight into the pros, cons and etc.  Key is to find that type of rental in the home port or ports you want to consider.  I certainly like your dream!!! Keep us updated!!!!
Brandon
12-30-2010, 04:30 PM,

This was helpful to me. I will follow this thread closely as I am in the same boat  ;D

ps my aka is "first mate nate" I do wonders with fresh seafood  8)
12-31-2010, 01:20 PM,
Hey Shooter,
We're looking for the ideal liveaboard multi hull that my budget will allow, although I'm sure some of the mono hull requirements carry over.

I've about read every post on cruisersforum pertaining to cruising and living aboard.  So far, some preferences for us are, but not set in stone; galley down (more living space in the salon, more storage in the galley, and able to brace against the hull if things get wavey), twin diesels, preferably at least 25hp each, well equipped, i.e. water maker, solar and wind gens, electronics, etc. etc. and a good solid build and rigging, good reputation as a cruiser.  Clean.

Our winter trip this year is going to be to go looking, hang out at some marinas, maybe try a charter, maybe learn to sail.. hopefully buy a boat.  This is a bad bug.

Fred
12-31-2010, 01:24 PM,
Diverqueen,
We'll be on the road by the time the cities boat show is going on.. but we'll be taking in the Florida boat show in February if we haven't done something ridiculous like having bought a boat before hand.
12-31-2010, 01:50 PM,

I have it too. Even more so now after reading the forum. I am ready to cut all land ties and go sailing. After this year I am sure I will have enough ice diving into tide me over for quite a while! What is the minimum lengths you will consider?
12-31-2010, 04:58 PM,
Having been a sailor for 8 or 9 years and the wife and I considered getting a keel boat, I was looking at 36 just for weekends and the odd week. If you want to live and sail the world, 40 to 42 is kind of a good size for 2. The one thing you need to consider is cruisers are near shore. They are meant for coastal cruising not ocean going. What you want for cruising will be a major problem when things get snotty off shore and your taking following sea at 10 to 15 feet.

It takes years to acquire the skills needed for anything but a weekend sail. Sure you can pay a captain for the training but just like diving, you can't buy experience. It's hours of small boat sailing and working your way up in size. Short cuts are a gamble, sometime they work...

If your serious about sailing, go take a bare boat sailing course in Bayfield and then get a small sailboat and learn how to race it. Racing is only the motivation to get out and sail in all conditions.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
12-31-2010, 07:54 PM,

Sorry arcflash, my minds made up about how we're going to go about this..having read about too many others who have done it, I am with complete confidence that I and my wife can also quick learn to handle a blue water cat.  Others may think it a gamble, I think with the right approach, it doesn't need to be.  I don't want to sail a small boat, I did plenty of that with the tippy 14', I want to sail a larger boat and will jump right on to learn that.  You know, even those that take those week long sailing courses still don't come away with much experience or many hours under their belt... I would imagine, with some good instruction, and owning our own boat, we will gain both in short order.  And if it takes years of experience as you say, and I do not doubt that as I'm sure the weather will bring you plenty of surprises along the way, then I think we should best be getting started on those years of experience as soon as possible.  So this will be the plan, spend some time with some experienced sailors, spend some time getting acquainted with the nuances of our boat, and hopefully, with mother natures cooperation, work gradually into the more demanding knots of wind and currents, and take it from there.

The boats we are looking at are well known for their ocean going capabilities, but also of a size that can be handled by 2.  We have been looking at well equipped 37 - 40' cats.  No experience other than about a year of reading, reading, reading, reading... reading, reading.  Oh, and that tippy 14' with the gybe and main.

One thing we do have tentatively lined up is going with some folks we know on a 40+' cat that they bareboat charter later this winter, but  I think if we own a boat by then, they might be joining us instead of doing the bareboat.

Fred