Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wetsuit recommendations for MN and GBR scuba diving
01-21-2011, 02:01 PM,
Wetsuit recommendations for MN and GBR scuba diving
Hello! My friend and I got our c-cards in the beginning of October, and we are thinking about investing in equipment. We want to buy wetsuits that will work for diving both the Great Barrier Reef and for lakes around MN. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Our trip date is tentatively set for anytime between March 22-April 19.
Thank you!
michelle
01-21-2011, 05:36 PM,
Re: Wetsuit recommendations for MN and GBR scuba diving

Hi Michelle,
                              Unfortunately theres no such suits. Reefs stop growing in the high 60s F range and die in the middle sixties, while most of MN never gets that warm, well below 20 feet anyway. You want a 7mil farmer john/jane (so 14 mil over your core minimum in MN) and a 3-5mil on the reef either in Aussie or the Carib. You will almost certinly need different suits, feel free to PM if you want more info.    TRINITY
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
01-21-2011, 05:43 PM,
Hi, welcome to mnscuba!  You will find significant temperature differences between the temperate waters in the GBR and our regional lakes. A wetsuit that is suitable for the GBR may only be suitable for very shallow lake dives during our warmest months.  

I would recommend two wetsuits: a 3-5mm for warmer tropical dives and a 7mm for our regional waters.  This recommendation is very general however.  Your body type and sensitivity to cold water may change this recommendation.  For example, I know slim or petite divers that get cold easily and dive with a 7mm in the tropics.  I recommend getting a full wetsuit versus a shorty.  

My recommendation is to rent a suit for your GBR trip.  That way you will find out what kind of suit works best for you.  Have fun on your trip!

--Jason
01-21-2011, 07:54 PM,
I'd do it the other way.  Buy the 3/5 for travel.  They are cheaper and the rental suits I've seen in warm water places are worn and nasty.

Then, rent a 7mm and see if you like local diving.  Not everyone can hack it.
01-25-2011, 11:42 AM,
Thanks everyone for the recommendations!
01-25-2011, 03:22 PM,

I'm going to agree with this and add that I like using a light wetsuit for normal lake swimming or snorkeling. I use a 3 shorty (it's what I had) just for swimming to help even out the cold spots so lightweight wetsuits are not without local charm. Just don't try and dive in one, your just going to freeze.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
02-03-2011, 08:03 AM,
I'm going to third the recommendation to buy a travel wetsuit and rent for local usage. I'm also going to toss in the recommendation to get dry suit certified and then rent dry suits for local diving.  You'll eventually want a dry suit for maximum comfort in local diving.
02-03-2011, 10:02 AM,
I like the Tilos 5/7mm one piece wetsuit. Most comfortable, best fitting warmest suit I have dove.
Advanced Trimix, Experimental Russian Rebreather/KISS, A&P Aircraft Mechanic, Private Pilot, All around cool guy, Certified Arborist
02-03-2011, 10:04 AM,
Advanced Trimix, Experimental Russian Rebreather/KISS, A&P Aircraft Mechanic, Private Pilot, All around cool guy, Certified Arborist
05-30-2011, 05:25 PM,
For those of us interested in Dry suits: Below the text DAN Members got:
I hope a few of us takes the opportunity:  It is a fun event...

"Come enjoy the DUI DOG Rally & Demo Days event at Wazee Lake in Black River Falls, Wis., the weekend of June 11-12, 2011. DUI is offering a special admission discount to all DAN Members who come out to take part; purchase one ticket to the event, and get a second one free!

The DUI Demo Days are entire weekends dedicated to drysuit diving. You can:

Try a drysuit for the first time, or test the latest styles offered by DUI.
Receive a personalized fitting by factory professionals and expert dealer staff.
Enjoy the barbecue lunch included with admission.
Sport your new collectors-edition DUI Test Diver hat!
Don't worry if you have little or no experience; certified instructors will be on site to dive with you and show you some of the finer points of drysuit diving.

The admission discount offered for this exciting event is available only to DAN Members; it applies only to admission to the DUI event and cannot be applied to any facility entrance fees that may apply. To redeem it, simply present your DAN Membership card when you purchase your ticket, and you'll receive your bonus ticket. We hope you'll take advantage of this added membership benefit and enjoy the weekend of June 11-12.

For more information on the DUI DOG Rally & Demo Days, visit .

DAN

Andreas