Remember me
Lost Password Register

Rewards from the anchor challenge..
05-09-2011, 03:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-09-2011, 10:09 PM by scubafreek864.)
Rewards from the anchor challenge..
Here are some of the anchors that I found while doing the anchor challenge.  I got rid of the rust using the electrolytic rust removal system, then primed them, then coated them with a variety of plasti dip colors.

It was pretty interesting seeing the different foundry companies that made anchors.  I have some from Kelly How Thomson in Duluth, Merit Marine in Minneapolis, ACME in Minneapolis,  W.E. Thurlow in Nisswa, Roloff MFG. Corps in Kawkauna, Wisconsin.

05-09-2011, 05:14 PM,
Re: Rewards from the anchor challenge..
WOW! :o Those look cool as heck. Let me know more details like hours into the project, amount of materials used, etc...

Very, Very nice!
05-09-2011, 06:46 PM,
They look way good, man!
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
05-09-2011, 08:10 PM,

Just doing the electrolytic rust removal took 48 hours, but that is all done by itself.  Don't have to sit and watch them.  I had six in a 55 gallon barrel at one time.  Finished off with the last three.

Total time, not counting the 48 hours for rust removal, I figure I had 8 hours for all anchors.  The 8 hours includes:  wire brushing the anchors clean, priming, and Plasti Dipping them.

I used an air spray gun with the Plasti Dip, thinned down enough to get through the gun.  I have the Plasti Dip in one gallon containers, so dipping them is not an option.
05-09-2011, 09:18 PM,
That's some nice work, you should buy all the anchors off detector guy and start an anchor reselling company.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
05-09-2011, 09:19 PM,

Good Job Robert! How does the plastic dip handle abuse, like flinging them out onto a gravel road?
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
05-09-2011, 09:52 PM,

I haven't gotten a chance to do any quality testing on them.  I will leave that part up to you..  ;D

How about I sell you one, and then you can do the testing and get back to us with the results.  >Big Grin  ;D
05-16-2011, 09:05 PM,
hey guys, thats a cool collection you found bottom scratchin'! it would be interesting if you could find out when the oldest anchor in your collection was cast?
bottom scratchin' is fun!!!!!
i know there is alot to find in theodore wirth park, it is a very old site. the aquatennial parade used to be held there 100 years ago  and i know from my open water 2 naui class with smith we found some old relics there.
anybody ever found any old horse carriage weights?
mike Smile
05-17-2011, 07:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-17-2011, 07:41 PM by DetectorGuy.)

Wirth Lake... I have never dove there, but I heard that there are thousands of old vinyl records dumped in there... buried in the muck near the old pavilion. About the horse anchor, I haven't found one for a while but I found one a few years ago. My wife is a horse fanatic so it makes a nice conversation piece/door stop now.

Attached Files
.png   Horse Stop Anchor.png (Size: 938.17 KB / Downloads: 133)
.png   Horse Stop Anchor.png (Size: 938.17 KB / Downloads: 133)
05-17-2011, 08:15 PM,

Remember the tunes and the beer when your flinging them f***ers!