Remember me
Lost Password Register

S Caribbean Cruise
04-07-2011, 07:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-10-2011, 09:14 PM by javelindan.)
S Caribbean Cruise
Enjoyed a S. Caribbean cruise March 20-27 with my wife and little guy over Spring Break.  With my wife's encouragement (thanks, Hon!), was able to get out for 2 dives on 4 different islands.
My favorites:
Barbados: on 2nd dive, enjoyed diving the wrecks in the marine park in Carlisle Bay in Bridgetown.  5 of the 6 wrecks were intentionally sank and were prepped to allow for easy penetration/navigation.  Vis was great and the wrecks were busy with nice collections of reef fish and critters.  The wrecks grew progressively older and more adorned with soft/hard corals, etc and after hitting 50ft early, the wrecks grew shallower, ending at 20ft under the dive boat.  Over an hour on this dive - relaxing and fun.
St. Lucia: one beautiful place.  2nd dive was a slow drift dive along the base of one of the Pitons, called "Superman's Flight"...  nearly a perfect dive in every way.  Saw a manta coast by after entering the water and then enjoyed wonderful vis and a virtually pristine, prolific reef.  Didn't want the dive to end.
St. Martin:  enjoyed both dives.  First was on an old ferry boat sunk in 65ft on a sand bottom.  Great vis, easy penetration, some interesting fish.  2nd dive was reef dive where there have been a number of wrecks over time.  Various flora/fauna through channels which appeared to be volcanic.  Ended up over a few large anchors and cannons from an old British frigate sunk there 100+ years ago.
St. Croix:  enjoyed 1st dive on the Suffolk Maid in Butler Bay - vis was great and enjoyed a relaxing dive around the wreck looking for critters and reef fish/eels in various nooks and crannies.  Wreck nicely adorned with various hard corals and sponges.  Hear there is wonderful wall diving in Cane Bay... next trip!

Was hard to board the plane back to our persistent snow pack in MN...

- Dan
04-09-2011, 09:05 AM,
Re: S Carribean Cruise
Wow, that sounds like a blast.  What cruise line did you take?  Where did you book it?
Steve T.
04-09-2011, 05:58 PM,
Re: S Carribean Cruise

Booked it last fall with Royal Caribbean... looked online and then ended up finalizing plans by phone.  My wife wanted to travel the Southern Caribbean and when we looked, starting in San Juan, Puerto Rico worked out well.  We spent an initial day in San Juan and then only spent 1 day at sea since all other days were in port at different islands.  We also visited Antigua but instead of me getting a dive outing, we went to Stingray City to snorkel with and feed the rays...  a lot of fun though the rays were pretty aggressive going after the food offered to them.  I was nipped on my left arm as a number of rays were clammering for squid and one did a bit of searching with his mouth.  I was facing another ray with a squid in my right hand so wasn't expecting it.  My 7yr old son was also bitten when he held his squid too tight and his hand was hoovered into a ray's mouth.  In both cases we were a bit bloodied after losing some skin but it made for better tales later when we were back at the ship...  ;D
- Dan
04-11-2011, 11:07 PM,
Re: S Caribbean Cruise
Thanks for the info.  We're looking for a family trip that I could get in some diving while the rest of the family doesn't feel abandoned.  We've never been to any of those destinations either, so my wife might bite on that sale. 
Steve T.