Remember me
Lost Password Register

DIY Weights
03-03-2011, 02:22 PM,
DIY Weights
I have a bag of lead shot laying around from an art project my wife did in school.  I was thinking about making some weights but I've read that the lead can leach a white milky substance and stain equipment.

Anyone have any experience with this?  Is there a good way to clean it up before I make the weights?

03-03-2011, 07:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2011, 07:32 PM by scubafreek864.)
Re: DIY Weights
Believe it, or not, I wash all my soft weights, and hard weights at the end of each day I dive.  I wash everything in simple green, let them dry.  I have not noticed what you are describing with any of my weights.
03-03-2011, 08:41 PM,
Hmm.  Are you the "scubafreak" that makes their own weights.  I was told to talk to you, and if you are I may have PM'd the wrong person  :Smile

I have lead shot, new shot, that is meant for reloading shotgun shells.  I've read that it leaches milky white color.  You've never experienced this?

I rinse out my weights too, just with water.  Why the simple green?

Thanks!
03-03-2011, 09:00 PM,

Yes, I make my own weights.  I make the hard weights, and dip some of them in rubber dip.  I used to sell them on ebay, but quit.  I sold all over the US. It is a lot of work to try and keep up with orders. lol  I wash all my gear in the simple green to keep them smelling like new.  I like it, you can get it cheap, and it works great.
03-03-2011, 09:20 PM,
Arkman,
I have shot type soft weights. I have store bought and "home made" reloading shot sewn into nylon bags. I do get the light gray residue from the reloading shot type when they are dripping wet but when they are dry, it seems to go away. It doesn't stain my gear (or it hasn't yet in the last 3 years). Lead is something I don't know too much about but I would like to know more also. I wouldn't worry about it staining anything though.

Scubafreek,
Have you ever made dive weights from pure Zinc? I have about 50 pounds of it in 3/8" by 18" long rods. I thought of melting it in my moms kiln and making some weights with it. It seems like its as malleable as lead but shinier than lead. I have not done a ton of research on it to see what its melting point is though. What did you use to keep the hot lead fumes from making you sick when working with the hot lead? Ventilation or some kind of filter on a respirator?
03-03-2011, 09:21 PM,
....check out... ... ....  these contour better in your weight pockets than the lead shot weights...clean & dry off with a towel...  
Dive Safe
03-03-2011, 09:28 PM,

They look nice but, $100 for 20 pounds?... too rich for my blood.
03-03-2011, 09:32 PM,

I have only made them with lead.  I took a 20# LP cylinder and cut it in half for a melting pot, and used a turkey fryer heater stand for heating it.   Yes, the tank was empty when I took the chopsaw to it.  :o  I didn't use a respirator, but will next time.  I melted them in my garage with the doors and windows open.  I will only be doing it outside from now on.  I did get tested for lead after doing it in my garage.  The test came back elevated, but not to the level to worry about.  Lesson learned!
03-04-2011, 09:55 AM,
I keep my weight belt in a pail in the garage and I don't touch it. I don't even open it and I never wash/rinse it. I dive it then right back to it's pail.

Washing only contaminates the area. I don't want lead residue around my house. I believe lead is also transdermal and you can get elevated levels from handling it to much. I also wash my hands after I have to interact with the lead bags directly.

I wasn't always so careful but a buddy of mine that reloads, read me the riot act so I changed my behavor.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
03-07-2011, 08:14 PM,
The milky white is probably from the oil that new reloading shot has on it.
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain