Remember me
Lost Password Register

Yet another wetsuit question
03-05-2011, 11:07 PM,
Yet another wetsuit question
I need a warmer wetsuit. I would love a drysuit but there is just no way to fit it in the budget right now. I dive here in MN so I am thinking I need a 7mm. My question is should I go with a one piece suit or would I be better off with a farmer John type suit.

Finally I have seen some decent prices on the "Camaro" semi-dry suits. Are they any good?
03-06-2011, 12:45 AM,
Re: Yet another wetsuit question
I guess it depends on how much you dive through out the year.  Early after ice out till late fall I'd say you would be better in a farmer john.  I dove most of this summer in a 5mm jumpsuit and was warm most of the dive, but I didn't go deep or on really long dives.  If you got a 7mm jumpsuit you could get a hooded vest to use in a colder dive.

A farmer john might be a little more your liking.  When I do dive the farmer john I have and get warm its really easy to cool yourself off.  Just grab the neck and let some cool water flow in.  I guess now that I think of it...if I were you, I'd go with the farmer john.

I can't comment on the "Camaro" semi dry suit.  I've never seen them.
03-06-2011, 09:59 AM,
I use a one piece 5/7mm wetsuit, 5mmm gloves and boots and a 7mm gauntlet style hood for the warmer times above the thermocline and for early/late season, or summer time around 50+ feet, I wear a 2mm shorty over that. Wearing that I have been comfortable for a 40 - 45 minute dive in 42 degree water. What gets cold by that time are my fingers - the rest of me is fine.
I'm a Mog, Half man half dog - I'm my own best friend.<br />Alcohol doesn't make you fat... it makes you Lean... on tables, chairs &amp; random people.
03-06-2011, 04:42 PM,
I'd get a two piece 7 mm as it double layers the torso for added insulation. You can also mix match top bottoms from several mfgs to get best fit. Plus there are great values in suits from the local shops, not neccessarily big name brands, but secondary name that offer good value and construction. If you plan to dive the mines, lk superior you will appreciate every mm of insulation.

Deep Thought
Start with training, continue with adventures.
05-26-2011, 08:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-26-2011, 08:39 PM by aknelsonone.)
I have used a lot of Neil or Camaro 4/5mm full wetsuits for diving.
They are good for water sports and when the water is warm they work in MN too.
The fit makes them work better "feel Warmer" than the average wetsuit you buy at the store.
I would say for the price the Camaro wetsuit is a good buy.

Andreas

Andreas
05-26-2011, 09:33 PM,
Another idea would be a semi-dry like a Mares Isotherm.

Shameless plug, I've got one in XXL for sale (fits more like an XL) I'm looking to unload.
05-27-2011, 05:13 AM,
There are several schools of thoughts on which suit to purchase.

You will find that a 2-piece suit is typically cheaper, will double the insulation value around your core, it will also allow water to circulate through the suit, which can be both good and bad. You are however constantly reheating that water to body temperature. With the double insulation value also comes the added weight needed to keep you submerged, there is also a problem of staying horizontal in the water when compared to a 1-piece.

A 1-piece semidry will cost you more, but the advantage is that you have minimized the water that cirulates through the suit, thus staying warmer. With the 1-piece is also the added benefit of having to wear less weight to keep you submerged because of the constant thickness across the entire body, it is much easier to stay horizontal in the water.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
05-27-2011, 09:23 AM,
....and.....you can go with a one piece and use a hooded vest.....you'll be using a hood anyway..your torso is the primary concern so combine the two...go with a vest that you can loose when the weather & water warms....and get the advantage of layering for warmth without too much neoprene.....
Dive Safe
05-27-2011, 10:37 AM,
I have a 7mm wetsuit that is a 'Bare Alpine' that has an attached hood and 'smooth skin' seals at the wrists, ankles, and around the face. This is to minimize water transfer. It also has an extra 8MM spine pad that helps to keep the kidney area warmer. I only paid $179 for it new and I really like it. I don't like it better than a drysuit, but in the river or other snaggy areas it is cheap enough that I don't worry about wrecking a drysuit. The other nice thing is that its a front zip because of the attached hood. If your a guy who drank a bunch of coffee before the dive thats a good thing. If I am going on a two day dive I bring it with for a back up to the drysuit, and needed it one time when I blew a neck seal.

I think the biggest thing if you want a warm wetsuit is minimizing water transfer and maintaing thickness of the insulation. Look for a wetsuit that is made of "crushed neoprene' as this neoprene is pre crushed and is denser than the old regular neoprene. That way at depth the 7MM won't compress down to 5MM or so. The tighter the better with decent internal seals to keep from 'pumping in' fresh cold water is good too.