Remember me
Lost Password Register

Open Water early Springtime Mermet Springs
03-21-2011, 04:29 PM,
Open Water early Springtime Mermet Springs
Mermet Springs

I just finished 3 days of diving at Mermet Springs quarry, which is about 11 hours South of Minneapolis, and is nearby the town of Metropolis.  Yep, that’s the town where Superman worked at the Daily Planet..

Two rEvo students (Alan and Todd) joined me for Spring Break dive trip, with the goal of going only as far south as we had to drive to find open water and reasonable climate.  Well we hit a bulls eye with the weather on 19-21 being sunny and 70-80 degrees, with water temps in high 40’s.

We stayed at the Metropolis Inn which is a fairly clean, and comfortable motel with divers rate of $59 per double room.  Not great, but reasonable price.  The town of Metropolis does not have much going on, except the giant Superman statue and novelties.  There are a couple restaurant / pubs that have good burgers or Mexican…but beware that there is no liquor sales on Sunday!  ;-(

Mermett Springs is a fantastic fresh water quarry to dive as the owners have a highly organized staff, well organized grounds with tables, shelters, snack shack, air station, changing rooms and bathrooms.  The quarry is the reason to dive, and it is spectacular with easy access into / out of water docks, numerous platforms at depths from 20’ – 100’, busses, train cars, planes, trucks, ambulances, 727 jet body, big catfish, trout, paddle fish.  The paddle fish remind me of mini baskin sharks as there mouths stretch open wide as they filter water while swimming – eek, odd looking!  Water visibility was very good, especially at depths away from the shallow platforms with plenty of light penetration.  All of the submerged objects have been carefully placed and allow easy penetration.

On one of the days, there was an “event” with a diver and we assisted the staff, whom were all organized and reacted like a textbook example of emergency care.  I was quite impressed.

While this location is not in our backyard, I would highly encourage divers to make a visit especially during the winter / spring months when we do not have open water.  The traffic at this time of year is light, and you can expect reasonably fair weather.

Check out Mermet Springs at

I’ll post uw pics soon

Good Diving

Ron

Attached Files
.jpg   MMS sign.JPG (Size: 52.27 KB / Downloads: 37)
.jpg   Dock.JPG (Size: 76.77 KB / Downloads: 41)
.jpg   MMS 5.JPG (Size: 81.32 KB / Downloads: 37)
.jpg   MMS 2.JPG (Size: 87.3 KB / Downloads: 32)
.jpg   MMS 5.JPG (Size: 81.32 KB / Downloads: 37)
.jpg   MMS 2.JPG (Size: 87.3 KB / Downloads: 32)
Start with training, continue with adventures.
03-21-2011, 05:12 PM,
Re: Open Water early Springtime Mermet Springs
Gotta love mobile technology  ;D

Some underwater photos of Todd and Alan diving rEvos in Mermet Springs.

Attached Files
.jpg   Alan Birds.jpg (Size: 90.69 KB / Downloads: 43)
.jpg   Todd Plane 3.jpg (Size: 105.13 KB / Downloads: 44)
.jpg   Alan Birds.jpg (Size: 90.69 KB / Downloads: 43)
.jpg   Todd Plane 3.jpg (Size: 105.13 KB / Downloads: 44)
.jpg   Todd 727 0.jpg (Size: 111.81 KB / Downloads: 40)
.jpg   Todd 727 2.jpg (Size: 150.92 KB / Downloads: 47)
Start with training, continue with adventures.