Remember me
Lost Password Register

Tommorow Anyone interested? Open water40ftvis Iowa
03-26-2011, 07:23 AM,
Tommorow Anyone interested? Open water40ftvis Iowa
i think I'm road tripping to Iowa Lake Okoboji.
vis approaching 40ft. shore dive. reviews are good.
got room.
If anyone is interested in tagging along.trip is 3.5hrs each way. would like to leave early morning/back by early evening.
(split gas,$30 would be the contribution level)

if interested respond with tel and i will call tonight
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
03-28-2011, 11:40 AM,
Re: Tommorow Anyone interested? Open water40ftvis Iowa
How was it? With a little more heads up I would have been game to go. Thinking this Sunday might be in order if it was worth the drive  Big Grin
03-29-2011, 09:36 AM,
Just got off the phone with Dave from Blue Water Divers
and he told me that the lake is still ice covered.  Both
East and West Lake Okoboji.  He will call me when the ice
breaks and I'll post it here as soon as I find out.
Captain Brian<br />www.mn-blackdogdiving.com
03-29-2011, 01:38 PM,
I'd definitely recommend diving Okoboji before boating season starts.  The tower is a nice dive.  I'd like to get back down there someday with a camera.
--Jason
03-30-2011, 04:13 PM,
thanks obviously i didn't make it, or have fore thought to check this. i assumed it was open.
thanks, let me know. still planning to go.
probably not this weekend but following sat(April 9th) as that leaves sunday to recover from road tripping.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
04-06-2011, 10:55 AM,
Just talked to Dave and he said the ice went off east Lake Okoboji and west lake will be open soon.  We're going to meet Dave in front of his shop at 10:00AM on Sat. for a dive.
He did say the vis wasn't great as all the stuff that blew in on the ice is floating in the water.
Time to start the open water season!!!
Captain Brian<br />www.mn-blackdogdiving.com
04-07-2011, 05:33 AM,

perhaps it would be beter to wait a week and let the lake stabilize.
04-07-2011, 12:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-08-2011, 10:28 AM by hansdive.)
I'm from Okoboji and have dived West Lake many times. It takes a couple of weeks following ice out for the visibility of the lake to be good. During the turning over process the visibility is usually less than 5'. Following the lake turning over, the visibility is about 20'. The only time I have ever seen the visibility in West Lake around 40' is under the ice. The visibility in East Lake is always worse, I wouldn't dive East Lake unless you have to.

Quality dives in West Lake include
  • Allen Ice Truck
  • The Tower
  • Intake pipes at The New Inn
  • Pillsbury Point

If you want more information on the diving down there let me know. Ive done over a 100 dives down there and know the area well.
04-07-2011, 02:39 PM,
I don't know much about the lake but here is link to a contour map

04-07-2011, 06:22 PM,

seen any large muskies or carp?