Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dry suit recommendations???
03-28-2003, 01:53 PM,
Dry suit recommendations???
OK...Its time to bite the bullet. I am looking at a DUI dry suit. I used a TRS350 (Is that right???) during my ice diving class and just loved it. Does anyone else really like this suit??? I know it is DUI's low end , but I guess I am easily impressed.
Thanks again for any input!!!!

Jean Smile
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
03-28-2003, 01:57 PM,
Re:Dry suit recommendations???
Jean, I think it is a great suit. It was definitely on my list. I looked at a couple of used tls350 suits at Scuba Daddys and SD&T. I really like the telescoping torso. That is the only thing I wish my suit had because I have a little extra material in the torso area.
--Jason
03-28-2003, 02:00 PM,
I also liked the telescoping torso...Made for a real nice fit!!!
(Even for a rental...)
Jean
03-28-2003, 02:13 PM,
Jean, the TLS350 is not DUI's low end suit but their high end suit. You may want to check out their web site for specific information. I've had one for two years and it works great. I suggest you get both the 200g and 400g underwear. Don't have them put on pockets. You can get that done by Mark in Brainerd cheaper. Call Todd at Minnesota School of Diving, he has had his TLS 350 for 9 years and thousands of dives and its still ticking.
03-28-2003, 02:17 PM,
I went with the CLx450 Special Production. I figured if I was going to get a dry suit it was better to get a more customized fit. I also am having them put kevlar kneepads on it.
03-28-2003, 02:19 PM,
This is the link for DUI

03-28-2003, 02:59 PM,
I've owned three different DUI drysuits, plus a bunch of ther brands, over the years adn I relly like the TLS 350 a lot. My 450 LCX just seems to heavy compared to my TLS350. I bought it for wreck diving, but I never really had any problems with the 350, so I think it is overkill.

I also had a Cf200 that I really liked. It was easily the most comfortable suit that I ever owned, but it takes forever to dry out after a dive. On a week long wreck divng trip it never got a chance to dry out the whole week long.

For quick drying suits Viking get my vote. I have taken my Viking out west to dive the kelp beds and when I was done diving I laid it out on the rocks while I changed my clothes. I turned it over after 10 minutes and started to pack up the rest of my gear. By time I was done my suit was bone dry adn I packed it up for te plane ride home. I stopped using vikings when the zebra mussles hit Lake Michigan. The mussles sliced right through them. The TlS adn CLX seem to hold up a lot better under those conditions.

Just my experience with all of them. Go for the custom cut TLS 350 if you can afford it. You won't need another suit for a long time to come.

The only suit I wouldn't recommend are the OS systems suits. I had one when they first came out, in 84', and it fell apart in less than a year. Maybe they're better now, but I will never go back to them.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-28-2003, 03:51 PM,
Opps..You are right...I guess I meant to say high-end suit (aha...right...)
Ok , another quick question...How about the TLSse??? That one would definately fit my budget much better. And thanks for the responses so far. I greatly appreciate all the knowledge that has been passed onto me.

Thanks...Jean Smile
03-28-2003, 04:04 PM,
Same material, but a shoulder entry. The telescoping torso is a VERY nice feature, but if it makes the difference in buying a suit or not, then anything will work.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-28-2003, 06:03 PM,
Jean, my Andy's DS3 cost more than the tls se and less than a tls350 -- and the material is tougher. You could definitely buy a basic suit for under $1k. I also looked at the diverite 905. I also think that is a really nice suit. Viking makes an Xtreme model that I think may be the best budget suit out there.
--Jason