Remember me
Lost Password Register

diver distress system
03-29-2011, 01:36 PM,
diver distress system
Here's a new diver distress system coming out this Spring that seems pretty well thought out:

--Jason
03-29-2011, 02:24 PM,
Re: diver distress system
"Do not drive over your own lifeline."    :o
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
03-31-2011, 12:28 PM,

sounds similar to the Breitling Emergency Watch.
Bear Gryllus wears.
supposedly  has 100 mile range, and is monitored globally. with a contract you can be rescued anywere on the planet. also rumor has it that the device (and  contract)also works underwater to 100ft.

&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
03-31-2011, 03:08 PM,
The breitling watch emergency signal (121.5) can only be monitored locally.  It hasn't been monitored via a global satellite network since 2009.  This alerting signal is highly error prone and many false alerts are generated by random devices (ATM machines!).  The useful signal detection range is around 15 nautical miles. 

The nautilus system uses standard marine radio channels and allows the diver to communicate or signal up to 8mi.  I believe it also passes GPS coordinates over a digital channel.  The use case is designed for a charter operator that wants to centrally monitor all the divers in the water.  If a diver gets swept away by currents the boat operator can receive the diver's coordinates.
--Jason