Remember me
Lost Password Register

No Minnetonka cleanup dive this year
04-19-2011, 10:06 PM,
No Minnetonka cleanup dive this year
I emailed the Lake Minnetonka Association to find out why they had not posted a date for the event and this is the reply:

Hi Jeff:

Sorry for the delay, our board did not meet on the 28th, so a decision was not made then.  However, we did make a decision late last week.

I regret, we will not be hosting the Clean Up event in 2011.  The two main reasons were that finances are tight (the event has a net cost to the Lake Minnetonka Association) and we could not find enough volunteers to plan and staff the event. We know the event is popular with the divers and also with the Power Squadron boat drivers.  However, in the end, we have other more pressing demands and priorities.

Thanks for your continued interest.

Dick Osgood, CLM
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
04-20-2011, 06:26 AM,
Re: No Minnetonka cleanup dive this year
Bummer! Maybe they will have again next year - who knows. Thanks for the info.
I'm a Mog, Half man half dog - I'm my own best friend.<br />Alcohol doesn't make you fat... it makes you Lean... on tables, chairs &amp; random people.
04-20-2011, 08:31 AM,
That's too bad. I wouldn't expect money an issue for tonka residents. If they raffle off a lake side house I'll buy some tickets! That should raise enough for a clean up!
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
04-20-2011, 11:46 AM,
Maybe they are budgeting that money for more research on the zebra mussel issue??  ???  ;D  Tongue
04-20-2011, 02:23 PM,
or maybe once they realized their lake was de-flowered with zebra mussels they gave up. The only thing left is to import a bunch of the gobi fish that eat them !!!  Big Grin

"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
04-20-2011, 02:31 PM,
You guys don't mean the Zebra mussels that they don't have  :Smile
I'm a Mog, Half man half dog - I'm my own best friend.<br />Alcohol doesn't make you fat... it makes you Lean... on tables, chairs &amp; random people.
04-20-2011, 03:53 PM,
You can do one or two things,
1 take all those ancuhors in Johns front yard and place them on the dock at Excelsior
2  forget about till next year.
04-20-2011, 05:27 PM,
                               Hello Richard,
                    That or we could/should just forget tonka, plenty of lakes in MN that have more and better stash without the nonsense hoops they had us jump thru last year, with their concern that divers were spreading non-indigineous species, all the while zebras were there and we knew it. The Lake Minnetonka Association couldn't come up with the "funding", hell we spent more in fuel then one sorry 4 yd dumpster costs to pitch the stuff in, sounds more to me like this was just an excuse to have us not come back. To that I say, F-em, its not like any non diving boater on tonka would recognise a dive flag, from the Swedish flag anyway, or Hennepin Co. water patrol would EVER stop a boat on tonka, to explain they just went over one. I know Grump you grew up out there, but I think the problem on tonka is the bigger the boat the more of the lake they think they "own", or perhaps, their owners are  just too few Richards and too many Dicks. Time for a new lake.        TRINITY
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)
04-20-2011, 05:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-20-2011, 05:50 PM by scubafreek864.)
Time to head up to Green Lake by Spicer for the Lake Clean up!!!!!!!!

This is from last year.

For more information, contact: Ron Flannigan, dive coordinator, 605-222-7664; Mike Roe, 320-212-1346; or Joe Holm, 320-905-7711.

Edit:  I just contacted Mike Roe, and it sounds like Green Lake is not going to have a clean up this year either.  He stated that they are going to skip this year.  Maybe next year.  Bummer!!
04-20-2011, 06:57 PM,
If the event is that popular what stops anyone( or everyone) from randomly showing up at some public location for an un-offical lake clean up. also  if the bottle neck is who pays for a dumpster, there is one at most of the launches that is specifically for tossing lake related debris.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;