Remember me
Lost Password Register

Damn Yankee Spearfishing Tour III
07-09-2011, 09:40 AM,
Re: Damn Yankee Spearfishing Tour III
Pointy tip knife is a must...unless your a dead shot like Shooter & Captain Ben.  They just hit em dead on and watch them quiver.  For the rest of us a cu da grais is needed. Wink
07-11-2011, 07:31 AM,

That would sweet to find one coin even. I started to download the spearing videos but my company got wind of it, and clamped down on downloading them on my work computer. Roughly how many fish does a person spear per drop at say 130'? How many average sized fish fit on a stringer? do you ever bring down two stringers? I picked up two pair of Kevlar gloves but let me know If I should pick up any other "tools of the trade". All my dive knives are blunt tip or tanto tipped... Should I buy a pointy tip knife?
[/quote]

your goal should be to go down and spear one fish. After that's done if you still have time to spear another one. One stringer should be sufficient, with years of experience, you can come back with a stringer like this one.....

Attached Files
.jpg_thumb   full stringer.jpg_thumb (Size: 37.63 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   full stringer.jpg (Size: 109.83 KB / Downloads: 92)
.jpg_thumb   full stringer.jpg_thumb (Size: 37.63 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   full stringer.jpg (Size: 109.83 KB / Downloads: 92)
07-11-2011, 09:42 AM,
When you are down watchin Capt Ben do this you are amazed at how effortless he makes it appear.  At the same time I'm fighting a small hog that I didn't hit well and is wrapping me in my line.  LOL
07-12-2011, 03:39 PM,
;D
Just picked up two more steel tanks.  These are low pressure 104s (137 with a cave fill >Big Grin).

I agree wit Nate.  Goin down ta Florida..... SING IT.......SPEAR THEM FISHIES ONE BY ONE doo dah -- doo dah SPEAR THEM FISHIES ONE BY ONE all the doo dah day.     

And if yer REAL good I'll tell ya about da time I shot dem two hawgs wit one shot from ma trusty schpeargun :Smile :Smile
08-01-2011, 09:39 AM,
Trip update:

as you probably all heard the Holy Spear-it is out of commission. That left us with the current option, to go to the middle grounds on the boat that were on last year out of Steinhatchee, FL(a.k.a. the Hatch). Unfortunately due to the size of the boat we will only be able to have two days of diving in the grounds. The upside of this is that we will be able to get more drops in per day because the spots are closer together, chance of trophy fish, and hopefully chance of larger quantities of fish. It is still fishing however  :Smile. The total per person will be $750. We will be staying at dark Island.

We can add on to this trip a day trip, spearing the same areas that we speared last year, for an additional $300 per person. Count me in for both. As long as we are there we might as well dive, dive, dive! I like it, like it, like it, on the........... >Big Grin

due to the unpredictable weather conditions, Ben recommended we drive, to have a little bit of flexibility in when we go out. But that the plan is to be there spearing fish when the season opens on the 15th. These are the dates that work best for the boat and fishing conditions. If there is a hurricane we can try to reschedule for the following week.

We will be going to this newly discovered spot that is loaded with Jack's like the one in the attached picture and the hogs are always bigger!

Attached Files
.jpg   jack.JPG (Size: 130.33 KB / Downloads: 87)
.jpg   hogs.JPG (Size: 166.44 KB / Downloads: 102)
.jpg   jack.JPG (Size: 130.33 KB / Downloads: 87)
.jpg   hogs.JPG (Size: 166.44 KB / Downloads: 102)
08-01-2011, 06:58 PM,
I should be able to go earlier no problemo.  We can plan to be on site out on the grounds for the season open and have time to spare BUT I HAVE to be back to work on the 23rd. I can't be back on the 24th or 25th or 26th.... If weather sets the dates back far enough that it impinges on the 23rd I will simply not be able to go.  Hope for clear skies and no TS or Hurricanes!
08-04-2011, 09:30 PM,
I dont fly back from my dive trip in Monterey until 9/20.  Waiting for dates....I could be on a plane the 21st
08-05-2011, 10:05 AM,
Trip update:

Secured a go fast boat for day trips, fuel/tank expense only ;D ;D. Cancel on $1200 day trip of 1 day diving, exchange for several day trips? This way we can still dive and fish if we are waiting for a weather window to go 90 miles offshore to the grounds!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Sorry Brian, The capt said the best time to be there was on the 15th for the GGGO(great gag grouper open).... Only chance you have now will be a tropical storm or hurricane. Fishing is AWESOME after a hurricaine, the fish stack up on BS(big structure :Smile)
08-05-2011, 02:55 PM,
Will the go-fast be able to reach the AJ location Capt Ben has scoped out???
08-08-2011, 12:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-08-2011, 12:58 PM by Shooter.)

We will still do the 2 day trip to the grounds on Captain.Johns boat. The go fast will be in place of John's 1 day trip either before or after depending on weather. preferably before.

Check out the cool video