Remember me
Lost Password Register

Semi-dry suit recommendations...
03-31-2003, 10:56 AM,
Semi-dry suit recommendations...
OK...I need to check this out also. What are people's experience/opinions on semi-dry's. From what I have seen , they seem to work pretty well. Maybe I might start with this and then keep saving up for that DUI dry.

Again , thanks again for all your comments and experiences. I cannot thank you enough.

Jean Big Grin
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
03-31-2003, 11:10 AM,
Re:Semi-dry suit recommendations...
I have the Mares Isotherm semi-dry... I really like it a lot and it keeps me warm. I dove Superior last summer and the only thing that got cold were my hands really. The water temp was about 36 degrees from top to bottom. I've had really good luck with it and plan to use it a couple more years until I can afford/justify a dry suit. I just bought the semi-dry last year so it's hardly been used enough to consider retiring it yet Wink
03-31-2003, 11:17 AM,
I have heard of the semi-dry suit, can someone explain what it is and how it works.

Thanks
03-31-2003, 11:20 AM,
The thing about a semi-dry is that there is not a whole lot of cost difference between them and a low end neo drysuit. The Mares isotherm I thought was running around the $500+ mark and a henderson neo drysuit runs in the $600+. Ocean Ray makes some drysuits that are in the $500+ range.

I have ocean ray that I am selling, not because it is a bad suit, I moved to a trilam.

JoelW

03-31-2003, 11:47 AM,
Instead of a semi-dry get a good freediving wetsuit. I use myCressi-Sub Super Comp for freediving under the ice in the winter time. You can pick one up for about $180 from DIVEINN.COM

Having said that I owuld probably still go with a cheap neoprene drysuit for scubadiving in water deeper than about 60'. After 60' the warmest wetsuit, or semi-dry, in the world is going to be crushed so thin as to not be useful for long exposures.

I use a 3mm freedivng wetsuit all summer long in the 40 degree bototm waters of Lake Michigan, BUT the surface water can get up to 70 degrees and that's where I do my breath-ups inbetween dives. I am only on the bottom for a minute or 2.

Freediving in the winter is different because we never go deeper than about 30'. For those shallow depths I have outlasted drysuit divers in my Freediving wetsuit.

In the end your depth will make the biggest difference of all as to what you need to buy.

Attached Files
.jpg_thumb   Jon_prep1.jpg_thumb (Size: 34.41 KB / Downloads: 0)
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-31-2003, 01:16 PM,
Jean, I'm with Jon on this one ... imagine that. I think I've said before that I'm a proponent of the Elios Sub suits.. custom made, and one of the ones I have was only $145 + $30 shipping from Italy and again, it's custom fit. You could call it a semi-dry as water barely enters it, but it is really a freediving suit. Don't be thinking "you get what you pay for".. these are excellent suits. The better quality neoprene Elios' run about $225 on up, but remember, that's tailer made and made to fit makes a great difference in water exchange. The ease of motion in a good freediving suit is fantastic.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-31-2003, 01:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2003, 01:21 PM by freedivernd.)
Quote:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I understand the semi-drys have neoprene or latex seals around cuffs and neck/hood without a lining so that water has a tougher time entering.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-31-2003, 01:55 PM,
Thanks for the information and the experiences given....
Hey Fred , freedivers stick together right??? No surprise with me that you would agree with Jon. Hey , keep those opinions coming!!!!

Jean ;D
03-31-2003, 03:13 PM,
I own a mares isotherm (like Chris) as well as a dry suit now.

The semi-dry has neoprene seals on the ankles, wrists, and neck. It also has a drysuit zipper on the back. Very little water will enter the suit if the seals are tight. Even if water does enter the suit you will not experience any "flushing" of the water out of the suit. One of the things I like best about the suit is that you don't get that feeling of cold water running down your back when you first enter the water. There is no question that it is warmer than a standard wetsuit.

In deeper/colder water I add on a 2mil vest. The suit is cut a little bigger than a standard wetsuit so it is much easier to don. The suit hood is designed to lay over the neck seal to reduce the amount of water flushing in the hood. My hood sealed so well I had to punch holes in the top so I wouldn't look like a cone head.

As much as I like the isotherm, I still got d%@m cold at superior. The suit's insulation will compress to nothing at 100 feet. Also my feet and hands got really cold. I figure a drysuit and drygloves will provide a solution to this problem. I have too much body area and not enough fat. Wink
--Jason
03-31-2003, 04:04 PM,
Sure , I don't get cold as easy but I can get DCS easier...
SIGH..............
Jean